123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAC OS X TIPS THAT YOU WILL LOVE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: MAC OS X TIPS THAT YOU WILL LOVE! Reply with quote

#1 - If you need to send a folder of files to someone via email, it would be easier if they were all compressed into one archive. Mac OS X has the ability to create a .ZIP archive which is cross platform. For years Windows users have used .ZIP files and we Mac users have used .SIT (Stuffit) files. With .ZIP being built into the Mac and Windows OS. It makes it much easier to do cross platform work.

1) Select your folder or individual files that you wish to ZIP

2) Choose "Create Archive Of..." from the File Menu

That's it! Mac OS X will make an Archive.zip (which you can rename if you like) of your selected files. Now you can attach this archive to your email message and send it.

#2 - Mac OS X comes with a FREE Label Printing program. That program is called Address Book. That's right! The built-in Address Book app has label printing capabilities. Here's how it works:

1) Open Address Book from your Applications folder.

2) If you don't have any contacts, add them now, I'll wait.

3) Now that you have your contacts in place, you can hold down the Command Key on and click on the ones that you want to print labels for to select them. Holding down the Command Key allows you to make discontiguous selections in most programs and in the Finder

4) Now choose Print from the File Menu. Choose Mailing Labels from the Style pop up menu. You can also choose the kind of labels you want to print by the Avery item numbers.

#3 - As much as I love Apple software and hardware products, Safari still lacks a few features that I really liked in Internet Explorer. One of those features (a Print button on the main bar) can be added to Safari with a hidden java script tip:

1) Open Text Edit (or any other app you have that supports drag and drop text)

2) either type or copy and paste this text into a blank Text Edit document:
java script:window.print()

3) By default Text Edit won't let you drag the text to another application (so here's a bonus tip) until you choose "Prevent Editing" from the Format Menu.

4) Now you can highlight the java script:window.print() text and drag it to the Safari Bookmarks Bar (the other Bookmarks will move over to make room)

5) When the Add Bookmark dialog box appears asking you to name your newly added Bookmark, give it a really clever descriptive name like "Print".

Now whenever you have a web page up that you want to print. Simply click your new "Print" button on the Bookmarks Bar.

You can also add these to your menu bar:

To make your Safari web page full screen:

java script:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

To send the current url to someone via email:

java script:location.href='mailto:?SUBJECT='+document.title+'&BODY='+escape(location.href)

You then rename them. ("Full Screen" and "Send Link")

#4 - Command-Tab is one of the coolest things in Mac OS X. In Panther (Mac OS X 10.3) Holding down the Command Key and hitting Tab brings up a nice visual of all your running applications and you keep hitting the Tab key until you cycle to the application you want to switch to. Once it highlights you can let go of the Command Key to switch to that app. That's cool and that's how it works on the surface, but there are all kinds of hidden techniques behind this feature:

hitting Command-Shift-Tab cycles you backwards through the list of open apps.

Holding down Command and hitting the Tab key brings up the bar and using your mouse you can hover over the app you want to switch to and letting go of the Command Key to switch to it quickly without having to cycle through the ones in between.

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "H" key will hide that app without switching to it

While holding down the Command key and hitting Tab to cycle to a particular app, hitting the "Q" key will quit that app

All of these tips are from the forums at http://www.macgroup.org , thanks to Terry White and were reprinted here for your use and enjoyment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
idave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a member of the group?
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Are you a member of the group?

No! but I wanted to give credit where credit was due. I should really join! I love the website and the Newsletter that they produce. I just would never be able to make it to the meetings because the day and time is not good for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
idave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! They seem like a pretty big user group. They have a great domain name.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: