123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils New Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are being too hard on the new mini! I will admit I was a little disappointed with the integrated graphics, but the rest rocks. Core Duo, 4 USB ports, digital audio in and out, Front Row, Apple remote, and Gigabit Ethernet. That's more than enough to get me started.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
I think you guys are being too hard on the new mini! I will admit I was a little disappointed with the integrated graphics, but the rest rocks. Core Duo, 4 USB ports, digital audio in and out, Front Row, Apple remote, and Gigabit Ethernet. That's more than enough to get me started.

Look, I think you are getting a great little computer, and most importantly it runs OS X...

Yes, for an entry-level computer the Mini is stacked. Like I said earlier (somewhere on this site, there are like 4 Intel Mac Mini threads going on), Apple did more right with the new Intel Mini than they did wrong.

Anyone buying a new Intel Mini is getting a great little computer. Wow, I already feel better typing that... Smile
jthawke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "new" mini Reply with quote

I have a rev. a of the first mini and I think it may be my favorite mac ever. I was excited about these new models for the speed, fsb and hopes of faster drives and more ram. Even the thought of running a few Windows apps when necessary at near native speeds (eventually). I was even willing to deal with Rosetta for a time. A client of mine is willing to pay me original cost for my mini when these new ones come out. Fact is, now I won't sell. The added cost for what I feel is "force fed" features along with what is most likely a worse, and at best . . . equal, graphics card for more money seems like a slap in the face. Rarely has a mac gone backwards in value, but this time it has. From what I've read around the internet today, the rev b of the intel model better hurry along or we won't see minis in the future. Again, I have no upgrade path. I have a nice Apple 20" LCD so an iMac is a no-go, and the G5 towers are such overkill. When will Apple give us the iMac insides without a monitor?
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
I know, I know.. I never worry about the analyst

Don't you just hate those Wall Street crooks? Mad I'm pretty impressed with the new minis. I really wasn't that far off with my predictions. I just hope we get more people to come over from the dark side. No offense to your avatar. Wink
ecking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this makes for some hard decisions for me....

I was gonna upgrade to an iMac, now I'm not so sure, cuz I think apple did a good job on this one.

How I see it:
BASELINE IMAC
17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440x900 resolution
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 cache
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
$1499cad

TRICKED OUT MUTHA F*CKIN HIGH END MINI
1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
2MB L2 Cache
667MHz Frontside Bus
2GB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
120GB Serial ATA hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Remote
$1459

now for people with a keyboard and mouse and a screen the mini is a bad deal?

I don't think so.

The only area that matters that iMac beats the mini is graphics.

As someone that as looking at an iMac the new mini is a good deal since like any of you guys I already have a screen, keyboard, and mouse.

So for $1429cad ($1224usd) you can get an OSX 1.66ghz core duo, 2gig ram, 120hd(even if it's 5400rpm) computer.

I think that's pretty sick, too bad about the video card but I'm reading posts on other forums with people claiming its optimized for HD playback and stuff so I don't imagine it's a big deal.

Now I'm not sure which to buy![/b]
moldymac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard disk is 5400rpm, Even though it may be SATA, its still a laptop drive and 7200rpm laptop drives are not cheap. Im glad to see the two ram slots, allowing the mini to run dual channel ram. Someone posted questioning the 2 sticks of 256mb ram, the reason they did that is that for optimal system performance you need two matched pairs of ram in the slots. Its not some sort of trick to get you to pay more for an upgrade. My two favorite things about the new mini is the optical audio in/out and the gigbit etherent, I always saw that as a draw back on the PPC mini. One thing I should mention about the on board video is its similar to the onboard video on my dell optiplex, it also uses a 9xx chipset and that onboard video blows past my old radeon 9200. Seems like a good move to me.
slickrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the mini do core image now? I haven't had a chance to look around. Other than the shitty video, they sound pretty good. I wonder if there will be any increase in fan noise associated with the new chips? Anyone seen pics of the motherboard yet?
ecking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: The "new" mini Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
I have a rev. a of the first mini and I think it may be my favorite mac ever. I was excited about these new models for the speed, fsb and hopes of faster drives and more ram. Even the thought of running a few Windows apps when necessary at near native speeds (eventually). I was even willing to deal with Rosetta for a time. A client of mine is willing to pay me original cost for my mini when these new ones come out. Fact is, now I won't sell. The added cost for what I feel is "force fed" features along with what is most likely a worse, and at best . . . equal, graphics card for more money seems like a slap in the face. Rarely has a mac gone backwards in value, but this time it has. From what I've read around the internet today, the rev b of the intel model better hurry along or we won't see minis in the future. Again, I have no upgrade path. I have a nice Apple 20" LCD so an iMac is a no-go, and the G5 towers are such overkill. When will Apple give us the iMac insides without a monitor?

I think you're being a bit dramatic. You considered a G5 but didn't get one because it's too strong but the new mini is too high a price? You want imac power but headless? What would be the point of the imac if that existed?

If you're wiling to pay imac prices(seems like you are from what you're asking for) $1224usd gets you:

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
2MB L2 Cache
667MHz Frontside Bus
2GB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
120GB Serial ATA hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Remote

That config is 75 bucks cheaper than an iMac.
You'd be taking a 170mhz hit and a 40gb hard drive hit. That's about it.
This computer is pretty comparable to the baseline iMac guts. And you get 2GB ram.
The only real area the mini lacks is graphics. Which it has always lacked in. Besides modern day integrated graphics don't suck as much as they used to.

What are you expecting a mini to do that at those specs it won't?

I'm not a fan of integrated either but I don't believe it's as bad as people make them out to be.

Last edited by ecking on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ecking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slickrick wrote:
Will the mini do core image now? I haven't had a chance to look around. Other than the shitty video, they sound pretty good. I wonder if there will be any increase in fan noise associated with the new chips? Anyone seen pics of the motherboard yet?

Yeah it's got core image. The video card is kinda disappointing but people are posting things that aren't making look as bad as it sounds.

Here's it's intel overview:
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfohl3r wrote:
I'm pretty dissapointed with the price. SNIP I figured with the student discount, it would be $479, and I would be able to buy a nice Apple keyboard with it.

Instead I found out today that the Mac Mini went up $100 and includes a bunch of accessories that I have no use of. Why did they do away with the entry model?

SNIP
Ugh, this sucks.

Now look for the 2nd hand pages, a 1.5 G4 is not bad at all, or even a upgraded 1.42 w/o BT/AP, probably you find them much cheaper and _just_ used!
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christian3807 wrote:
[
Same here.... I have no use for FrontRow Rolling Eyes
I needed a entry-based Mac... for $500.... but now...looks like im gonna stick with Windows.............. Mad

Noooo! Don't, You'll regret this. just buy a second hand G4 MacMini 1.5 and you still be rockin' !
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
My mini already shipped! I'm getting my first Mac! Very Happy

Shipment Date:
FEB 28, 2006
Estimated Delivered By:
MAR 02, 2006

Congrats Weee! Mine is shipping on the 1st and should be here by the 8th.
Scarpad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I have an original Mini but this is not a great Deal at $800. Intergrated Grphic chips especially the one in the new Mini stink. And if they are aiming it at the HT Crowd what's with the Year 2000 VGA/DVI connection and no HDMI. I think you could definately build a better HTCP for $800 clams, or save that for a Dell XPS model
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarpad wrote:
Nah I have an original Mini but this is not a great Deal at $800. Intergrated Grphic chips especially the one in the new Mini stink.

At $799 the dual-core mini is a good deal. The miniPCs from AOpen and others will all cost around $1000 with basically the same specs. They'll also be running Windows. Mad

Quote:
And if they are aiming it at the HT Crowd what's with the Year 2000 VGA/DVI connection and no HDMI. I think you could definately build a better HTCP for $800 clams, or save that for a Dell XPS model

I really don't think Apple marketing the mini as a true HTPC. Most minis will still be hooked up to a regular old LCD via DVI.[/quote]
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The "new" mini Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
The added cost for what I feel is "force fed" features along with what is most likely a worse, and at best . . . equal, graphics card for more money seems like a slap in the face.

So, you have the ONE G4 Mac Mini that supports core image? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: