123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils New Mac Mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:

Waauw, my best score was around 44 (1.5 G4) Embarassed

That was one of the first things I looked at. I was getting around 38-45 with my PC. It has an ATI card with 64MB.
xnooby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: How quiet are the Intel models? Reply with quote

I bought my "old" Mini because it is nearly silent. I would not want a "new" one if they sacrificed silence for performance. There are plenty of cheap, loud, and fast machines around.

Has anyone heard how quiet the new ones are?
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: How quiet are the Intel models? Reply with quote

xnooby wrote:
I bought my "old" Mini because it is nearly silent. I would not want a "new" one if they sacrificed silence for performance. There are plenty of cheap, loud, and fast machines around.

I believe it actually might even be quieter! (if reports from users on spymac are any indication)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: How quiet are the Intel models? Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
xnooby wrote:

I believe it actually might even be quieter! (if reports from users on spymac are any indication)

I heard the same thing at Macworld (the Intel Mini being even quieter)..

Too be honest, my PPC Mini is so quiet, I sometimes forget it is on Smile I cannot imagine it being even quieter, but hey I'll take it!
MJRBIM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Too be honest, I am just pissed that Apple did not release a Mac Mini "tivo killer".. I was really hoping for something new and innovative.

While the new Intel Mac Mini is impressive (somewhat), it is hardly innovative or groundbreaking...

Couldn't agree more...Apple needs to make the same "functional leap" it did with the Video iPod and iTunes TV downloads within the MacMini form.

I actually think that the Mac Mini "tivo killer" idea is where they should focus for Xmas 2006 - but perhaps that "record TV yourself for free" concept provides too much conflict with the "buy TV on demand from iTunes" model they have embarked on.

That being said, my wife is really happy with her Basic 1.25 Ghz G4 MacMini - which is a great entry-level product for probably 70% of users. It's too bad that it is phasing-out as a product idea.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJRBIM wrote:
ack_mac wrote:
Too be honest, I am just pissed that Apple did not release a Mac Mini "tivo killer".. I was really hoping for something new and innovative.

While the new Intel Mac Mini is impressive (somewhat), it is hardly innovative or groundbreaking...

Couldn't agree more...Apple needs to make the same "functional leap" it did with the Video iPod and iTunes TV downloads within the MacMini form.

I actually think that the Mac Mini "tivo killer" idea is where they should focus for Xmas 2006 - but perhaps that "record TV yourself for free" concept provides too much conflict with the "buy TV on demand from iTunes" model they have embarked on.

That being said, my wife is really happy with her Basic 1.25 Ghz G4 MacMini - which is a great entry-level product for probably 70% of users. It's too bad that it is phasing-out as a product idea.

Yes, there is a big market out there to be had for a Mac Mini media system (with DVR functionality). But I think you hit the nail on the head. It is looking more and more as if Apple will not release such a product and instead focus on building out pay-for-play music, television, (and most likely) movies. Apple just bought a data center and I can only imagine they are heading in this direction. That is just not going to cut it for me. I paid a lot of money for my 56" DLP HD TV, and to watch my shows in HD via cable. No way am I going to pay even more for just to watch television and movies on my TV via my computer (unless the movies were in HD (720p/1080i))... It is looking more and more like Microsoft (and Sony via the PS3) will take a more commanding lead via Media Center and the Xbox360...
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main reason Apple hasn't released a "TiVo killer" is because they have been working closely WITH TiVo on a couple of neat things.

1. Being able to stream content FROM your TiVo through FrontRow.
2. Being able to access your TiVo content from within iTunes.

My guess is that we'll see this before the end of the summer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I think the main reason Apple hasn't released a "TiVo killer" is because they have been working closely WITH TiVo on a couple of neat things.

1. Being able to stream content FROM your TiVo through FrontRow.
2. Being able to access your TiVo content from within iTunes.

My guess is that we'll see this before the end of the summer.

iMav, I really hope you are right about this. I just worry that Apple may fear that this will cut into ITMS sales..

TiVo really has the best interface on the market (I cannot tell you how horrible the interface is to the Scientific Atlanta DVR that I am using right now, but it supports HD recording and TiVo still does not).

The ultimate would be if Apple bought out TiVo either before or after they go bankrupt (they are quickly heading in that direction)... Can you imagine integrating ITMS with TiVo...
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How quiet are the Intel models? Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
I heard the same thing at Macworld (the Intel Mini being even quieter)..

It's because they left out that horribly loud graphics card.

Razz

Jamie
bowadoyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdf8585 wrote:
.... but just have to remember this Mini is very good for what I do - browse, IM, word processing, spreadsheets, itunes radio streams, download/listen to podcasts.

I doubt I am the only one in that boat.

Totally agree - I've had my mini for about a year and have no interest in upgrading until maybe they include the DVR.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
G4 Mac Mini, with:
- Airport
- Bluetooth
- 80GB hdd
- 512MB RAM
Price: $599

Intel Core Solo Mini, with:
- Airport
- Bluetooth
- 60GB hdd
- 512MB RAM
Price: $599

Considering the increased cost of the CPU, additional USB ports, audio IN addition, drastically better FSB, FrontRow with Apple Remote, etc...I think Apple did an EXCELLENT job maintaining an entry-level price point.

Sorry I'm so late to the forum. Been working quite a bit lately.

I agree. Don't forget optical 5.1 audio and Gigabit ethernet.

I think you are crazy if you think the mini is poor value. 10 years ago a monochrome 486 laptop went for $4000. Peoples expectations have become totally unrealistic.

For those who compare the mini to Windows boxes and say the mini is poor value, you're making no sense. If the Windows box came pre-loaded with OS X, iLife'06 and ran at 20dB and looked good while doing so, then it would be a little easier to compare the two based on other specifications.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that the new mini's gives great value for money, even comparing with AOpen's mini clones, which are less in all aspects except HD. The whole thing is, I was fetching my son from school yesterday and I was thinking of the enormous amount of beige boxes with windows on them I saw, What non-windows alternative is left for such schools, except turning to one or other form of Linux. When the mini 1.24 came out withhout Bluetooth/Airport, 40 gb hd, it was just 499, even including ILife. Such a small form factor, maybe even without iLife, a smaller hd, still with the G4 in it, and maybe $ 100 cheaper, would be a GREAT basic model for all kinds of mass applications. Considering OSX is so much more stable and its low power consumption, so there's more to save also, apart from the quality/worth of the hardware. I only don't know how much software there's available for educational needs on OSX. This lowly computer would do great in many applications, so I think there's still room for a G4 under the Intels. Idea
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
I have to agree that the new mini's gives great value for money, even comparing with AOpen's mini clones, which are less in all aspects except HD. The whole thing is, I was fetching my son from school yesterday and I was thinking of the enormous amount of beige boxes with windows on them I saw, What non-windows alternative is left for such schools, except turning to one or other form of Linux. When the mini 1.24 came out withhout Bluetooth/Airport, 40 gb hd, it was just 499, even including ILife. Such a small form factor, maybe even without iLife, a smaller hd, still with the G4 in it, and maybe $ 100 cheaper, would be a GREAT basic model for all kinds of mass applications. Considering OSX is so much more stable and its low power consumption, so there's more to save also, apart from the quality/worth of the hardware. I only don't know how much software there's available for educational needs on OSX. This lowly computer would do great in many applications, so I think there's still room for a G4 under the Intels. Idea

Exactly... in addition there is currently no need to run antivirus software along with other applications that are constantly monitoring and slowing the system down.

Some people will only look at the processor speed, size of the hard drive, the amount of memory on the video card etc. and purchase a Windows box over a Mac based on those numbers. Again, I feel this is not a wise way to compare value.

It will be interesting to compare the value of PC's vs. Mac's if and when we are able to boot into one another's OS. Then and only then will we be able to compare value based on hardware specifications alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: