123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The official unofficial Mac mini G2 wish list!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuridaman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Make it compatable with Video Core so that we can see... Reply with quote

...all the cool SFX that Tiger has. I know it's just eye candy, but I want it.

A better video card would help too. I am so sick of scrolling a browser window and watching the text stutter. There's no way I could show that to a PC nut and convince them to switch to a Mac. Surprised
starbase17

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini G2 Wish List Reply with quote

Actually, I am not a big gamer, so the ATI Radeon 9200 in my Mac Mini is more than adequate. Inside finder, I get the same responsiveness as I do at work on my iMac G5. I suspect that gamers will not appreciate the 9200 though. I think the people in this post are missing the point of the Mac Mini though. Apple meant it to be an entry level computer. Sure, it would be nice to have a fast video chip, audio in, and other Pro level features, but if Apple gave an entry level computer all that, it would cease to be entry level and it would cost alot more than 499.00.

For the next iteration of the Mac Mini, I would definitely like to see a slightly faster video chip with 64 MB of video memory. I use a firewire 7200 rpm hard drive for my main drive, so I don't really care about the internal drive. Another memory slot would be nice so that I could bump up to 2 GB. Also, I'd love to see the power adapter plug be a little more sturdy. The plug from the A/C adapter fits and all, but it seems a bit loose to me. I certainly wouldn't want to hit it with anything.
Mac 512K
Apple IIc
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with all your points except for the audio in. Even crapola entry level Dells come with audio in. Apple was so stupid not to include audio in with the mini. Video should be easily corrected on the motherboard but a total re-tool of parts will be needed for audio in. It will be interesting to see what improvements are made with Mm2!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini G2 Wish List Reply with quote

starbase17 wrote:
Actually, I am not a big gamer, so the ATI Radeon 9200 in my Mac Mini is more than adequate. Inside finder, I get the same responsiveness as I do at work on my iMac G5. I suspect that gamers will not appreciate the 9200 though. I think the people in this post are missing the point of the Mac Mini though. Apple meant it to be an entry level computer. Sure, it would be nice to have a fast video chip, audio in, and other Pro level features, but if Apple gave an entry level computer all that, it would cease to be entry level and it would cost alot more than 499.00.

IMHO it should be an entry level computer that can grow as the users needs grow.

I wouldn't consider myself a "gamer" when it comes to using a computer, but I do like to game occasionallyl. I also want ONE small form factor computer that I can use to do all my computer chores with. Right now, since I want to use a mini to design web pages, burn cds/dvds, do a little page layout and play games, I'm hoping Apple ups the ante' with the next release.
jrt1

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple never added audio-in with the iBooks so I wouldn't hold my breath!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini G2 Wish List Reply with quote

starbase17 wrote:
Also, I'd love to see the power adapter plug be a little more sturdy. The plug from the A/C adapter fits and all, but it seems a bit loose to me. I certainly wouldn't want to hit it with anything.

The AC plug into my Mac mini has always been loose. I even had to put a piece of scotch tape on the end of the plug to keep it from falling out.
bani

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm guessing they didn't add analogue-in because it would have been too noisy. the output is noisy enough, picking up all sorts of interference from inside the mini. input would be even worse.

they could have added spdif/toslink in though. Confused
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
i'm guessing they didn't add analogue-in because it would have been too noisy. the output is noisy enough, picking up all sorts of interference from inside the mini. input would be even worse.

they could have added spdif/toslink in though. Confused

I bet you're right and noise is why Apple sacrificed audio-in; however, most people on the street aren't audiophiles and would've liked the convenience of having the feature over a little noise. On the other hand it might have made audio-out too noisy! Either way let's hope they get it right with the second-generation mini.
MacPredict.com

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
I pretty much agree with all your points except for the audio in. Even crapola entry level Dells come with audio in.

But the audio in on those crapola Dells is pretty crapola itself, and I can't see Apple including a noisy audio in. They'll also be wanting to stop the Mini taking iMac/Power Mac sales, so some features are always going to be missing.
ocotillo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: My mini wishlist Reply with quote

1. Easy open box - for self upgrade.
2. 128MB Graphics
3. 1.5Ghz or better processor standard.

The case, if easier to access the components, would allow the average user to do self upgrades of almost everything most users want.

Hopefully the mini will be supported and upgraded by Apple for the forseeable future. There are a lot of us out here that do not want a big tower. I use my mini with a 20" Apple Cinema display and I would like to see upgrades that take advantage of it's capabilities. I would hate to see the mini go the way of the Cube.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocotillo,

The mini is not that hard to open, but you're right...to the general public a putty knife seems too geeky and or extreme. How about four easy screws on the bottom or button latches to at least give the illusion the mini is upgradeable. 128MB video would be sweet but I bet they go with 64MB first. A processor over 1.5GHZ just sounds better to the average buyer, these odd numbers like 1.42ghz always erk me! "I would hate to see the mini go the way of the Cube." Me too!
bani

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about thumbscrews like all really nice PC cases have now? They're incredibly convenient.

Or maybe apple really wants the general public to believe the mac mini is a black box which is locked and can't be upgraded in any way.
andp

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bani wrote:
How about thumbscrews like all really nice PC cases have now? They're incredibly convenient.

Or maybe apple really wants the general public to believe the mac mini is a black box which is locked and can't be upgraded in any way.

Thumbscrews would be great!

Apple wants the general public to think the mini is incredibly fragile so they'll have to come into the Apple stores for upgrading. Get em in the store make more sells! Wink
ebow

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my fingers crossed that the updated mini will have the following improvements:

processors: 1.5 and 1.67 GHz (just like the current PowerBooks)
    graphics: slightly better card (don't care which) with 64 MB mem
    hard drive: 5400 RPM
    memory: 256 MB soldered to the logic board (as speculated by Mac OS Rumors)
    cheap 'n' simple analog audio in (meh, why not)

Yeah, I'm a man of simple requests. Those changes will be enough to make me very comfortable pushing a Mac mini on my parents. Realistically, though, I'll probably nudge them to get whatever updated model comes out.
andp

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about soldering 256MB on the board. Why doesn't Apple just give us what we really want, two slots with one open and 512MB standard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: