123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forums: S-Video and Audio-in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Forums: S-Video and Audio-in? Reply with quote

Forums: S-Video and Audio-in?
Saturday February 25, 2006

It appears that AOpen and Shuttle are trying to steal a little bit of Apple's thunder before they have a chance to unveil the new Mac mini. Both companies have provided the press a sneak peak at their new small-form-factor PCs that will be unveiled at CeBIT 2006 next month. AOpen's new MiniPC will feature a proprietary motherboard design that houses a Pentium M socket, Intel 945GT core logic, DDR2-SODIMM memory banks, and mini-PCI expansion slot. The AOpen MiniPC also includes a built-in S-Video port and audio-in.

Shuttle's new XPC X100 will run Windows XP Media Center Edition. A typical XPC X100 will include a 1.83GHz Core Duo T2400 processor, 512MB of dual-channel DDR 2 SDRAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 video card, 250GB Serial ATA II hard drive, HD Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g connectivity, four-in-one memory card reader, four USB 2.0 ports, one six-pin FireWire connector, and more. The XPC X100 will also include a built-in S-Video port and audio-in like the AOpen MiniPC.

This got us thinking about the chances of Apple adding a built-in S-Video port and audio-in to the new Mac mini. We think there is a strong possibility that Apple will add an audio-in jack to the new Mac mini. We are not as sure about the built-in S-Video port, since Apple already offers the $19 DVI to Video Adapter.

So tell us what you think. Do you think Apple will add built-in S-Video and audio-in to the next Mac mini?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/444.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple historically has abandoned today's (or yesterday's) technology standards for tomorrow's at the drop of a hat. The latest example is the ExpressCard/34 slot on the new MacBook Pro, which is such a new standard that there are precious few cards for it shipping.

I can't see S-Video coming with any new Mac. HDMI? Maybe.

Smile

Jamie
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: HDMI? Perhaps. Reply with quote

But keep in mind that 99% of the potential users (if the new Mac mini is to be used in the living room) will only have component inputs or S-Video, at best. I don't mind paying 20$CAN for a USB keyboard for my Mac mini, but at least it does supports VGA and DVI.

I'd mind quite a lot if I had to pay for a new TV simply to have an HDMI input...

As far as those AOpen and Shuttle boxes are concerned... The one from AOpen looks like a toy, and the one from Shuttle looks like a ripoff of the Nintendo Revolution! Shocked
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HDMI? Perhaps. Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Shuttle looks like a ripoff of the Nintendo Revolution! Shocked

I think the Shuttle mini looks pretty cool. I've always been a fan of their products. The other one with a blue top looks really lame. I wouldn't mind seeing Apple adding s-video or including a video adapter in the box. My new mini will mostly be used on the desktop with DVI, but I would need S-video to hook it to my old school TV.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: And the cost will be? Reply with quote

Remember that one of the greatest advantages to the Mini is its low cost. What will the cost of these new PC toys be? And, at any rate, they use an inferior operating system, to boot.

I have a windows XP machine, which is a fine back-up; but it is a country mile away from the MacMini in terms of operating stability, ease-of-use, and quality.

You can put a Mercedes body on a Hyundai; but it's still a Hyundai.

Scotty
macinabox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think apple will change what ports the mini has at all, it seems to me that the "mini" is just what it's name implies "minimalist" besides I kind of like the idea of not having to pay extra for something I probably won't use.

If I want s-video there's the adapter, if I want sound input there's usb options. I would like to see BT sound input options for the mini.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be less than to run XP on one of these but something like SUSE linux would be quite nice. It is more difficult to get multimedia apps working in linux but for someone like me who has just ordered one of these for use as a DVD player, Itunes, Iphoto and Backup device the idea of installing a DVD player that will handle more regions as well as a larger and faster hard drive is appealing. I also ordered the video out device and appreciate the lower overall cost. I wonder how the video cards compare and also would like to see a head to head comparison on features and price including the apps needed to legally run a HTPC.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: HDMI? Perhaps. Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
But keep in mind that 99% of the potential users (if the new Mac mini is to be used in the living room) will only have component inputs or S-Video, at best.:

If Apple is going to push the mini as some sort of media center device, they're going to need to need component and S-Video right out of the box.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand it would be nice to have a few extra USB 2.0 ports. Also make the headphone/line-out jack a headphone/mini optical jack. And include the small adapter for making the mini optical jack into a full size optical.

The one thing I wish, was that they made their remote differently. IR, it should have been RF or something different.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
On the other hand it would be nice to have a few extra USB 2.0 ports. Also make the headphone/line-out jack a headphone/mini optical jack. And include the small adapter for making the mini optical jack into a full size optical.

Optical digital out. That would be fantastic news!!!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: HDMI? Perhaps. Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
I'd mind quite a lot if I had to pay for a new TV simply to have an HDMI input...

On the other hand, I'd mind a lot if it didn't have the newest one-plug connection.

In any case, there's more to this than just the connector. I wonder if Apple won't have to implement HDCP copy protection on whatever they ship, in which case it'll almost have to be HDMI.

S-Video is third in line in quality, way behind component and digital connections. I still think any Mac media center will definitely have an HDMI connector, with maybe a dongle for backwards compatibility.

Confused

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HDMI? Perhaps. Reply with quote

picaman wrote:

I still think any Mac media center will definitely have an HDMI connector, with maybe a dongle for backwards compatibility.

Confused

Jamie

I would be very surprised to see the mini include an HDMI connector. I think that will be saved for a true Apple set-top box.
new_mac_guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usless to speculate. "Wish list" fits in, however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: