123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel Mac mini: Dock or Not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Especially if Apple markets the new mini as some sort of media device, and it ends up sitting in more and more entertainment centers.
Fair enough, for something to go in your stereo rack, the front is much more accessible. For a desktop, though, I much prefer the side. Unfortunately Apple seems to want to let PCs own the standalone desktop market. Their offerings (iMac, eMac, and Mac mini) are all targeted at niche markets.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Apple seems to want to let PCs own the standalone desktop market. Their offerings (iMac, eMac, and Mac mini) are all targeted at niche markets.

I sort of know what you mean. Can you elaborate on this niche thing? Are you talking about the AIO and mini form factor thing? I guess you'd like to see Apple build a standard size tower for under a $1000? I would love to see that happen one day!
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I sort of know what you mean. Can you elaborate on this niche thing? Are you talking about the AIO and mini form factor thing?
And the lack of expansion on all of them. I'm not looking for a tower, even a Sparcstation/NeXT slab/Performa 475 style slab with a couple of PCI-E slots and disk bays would be nice. They haven't made anything like that since the G3 desktop was discontinued and the G3 minitower replaced by the Blue and White G3.

To get a conventional computer from Apple would set me back a minimum of 2 grand. That's about 3 times as much as I've paid for any computer in the last 15 years, and about 5 times as much as I've paid for a PC. And it's so big I'd need a new desk, or a smaller dresser.
CHOODALLS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for reviving a long dead thread. Just been playing though (bored, should be working) and was running the software "Hardware Monitor" :
http://www.bresink.com/osx/216202/download.html and happened to go into "Show system Info" and then "Management Info" and then "Connectors" and spotted amongst all the usual back panel connectors a listing for "Ipod Dock".
Now I didn't actually realise that Apple actually got that close to soldering on the connector that the system hardware recognises that it is present. I guess that kind of confirms all those reports about the little space on the back of the audio board being just right for the iPod Dock connection.
BTW my Mini started life as a 1.5GHz core solo. It'd be interesting to know if anyone with the latest C2D minis still has this throw back showing up under Hardware Monitor.
I feel I must now apologise for (a) being such a geek and (b) going to such lengths to avoid doing the work on my desk.
Ho hum....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: