123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A really cheap name brand LCD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pvonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: A really cheap name brand LCD Reply with quote

I'm planning on using a new Mac Mini as a file server, so it won't need much in the way of an LCD monitor (hope to configure it headless after the initial setup, but still want to have a spare monitor around).

If I'm looking on eBay or local shops, is there anything I should look out for regarding compatibility (e.g. is analog VGA okay), or will any LCD work (I won't be fussy about quality).

for example, I see a $99 Sceptre CT15W Hi Resolution Bright 15" inch LCD Monitor at some website. Never heard of this brand. Is it a given that it would work without regard to quality?

Thanks...
cinemafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the weirdness with the video card in the Mini (especially when it comes to VGA), I would say go for it only after making sure they have a good return policy.

You can also look on eBay, where you could potentially get a better quality used monitor for the same price. I got my Sony 15" SDM-M51 there for just a hair over $100.
pvonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I'll be more careful now.
macdude22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to walmart and get an ILO, they have DVI. Mine is bright and works great, cost like 130 buxx I think. Plus if its gankly or lots of dead pixels you can just take it back and exchange it(good ol wallyworld). Mine has one dead pixel way in a corner, I can only see it on a pure black screen.
christian3807

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macdude22 wrote:
Go to walmart and get an ILO, they have DVI. Mine is bright and works great, cost like 130 buxx I think. Plus if its gankly or lots of dead pixels you can just take it back and exchange it(good ol wallyworld). Mine has one dead pixel way in a corner, I can only see it on a pure black screen.

What size is the monitor with DVI for $130? Shocked

Edit: It cost $160 but the resolutions is only 1024x768
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138970&cat=37802&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A37802
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: