123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New iMac is almost an all in one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: New iMac is almost an all in one. Reply with quote

I wonder if steve j. is riding 2 fences. a real HTPC all in one/MAC would need a bigger screen. picture buying a 40 to 50 inch all in one iMac with a wall or table mount screen. Make it thick enough to have lots of hdd's for storage . the 1tb western digital 2.5 inch come to mind. the new 27 inch would make a great on the wall tv for a kitchen but it is not quite big enough for a htpc screen. fence number 1.

the new mini's with 2 sdd's as a server and an offsite 8tb storage tank nas type . or 2 1tb hdd's with the usb dvd morphing into a fw800 bluray. is your second fence.

if bluray dies he only had an addon. if downloading works as the king in a decade the on wall 50 inch model imac could have room for 8tb easy more like 16 or 32 tb. I think it is good thinking on apples part.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same about the 27" iMac. I find its too wide, i have a lot of desktop space when something is open.

After two 24" iMacs were DOA within 37 days, i ended up with the 27",Its not bad Im liking the new mouse.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a close look at the new 27" iMac at the Apple Store today. My first impressions are this: this thing is BIG. It is HEAVY. And it is a HEATER. You could melt the Alaskan Glacers with this puppy. The heat coming out of the cooling slot at the top of the monitor will replace your heating oil quotient for the winter in your bedroom. But that display is beautiful. It would make a great wall computer and Apple is supplying a vespa mount for it.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same temps as 20" & 24" iMac, It is heaver then the 24" (its bigger) I could mount it on a scooter Very Happy
Wedge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vespa mounts are nice, but you really need a 75cc Vespa for the 27". The 50cc Vespas won't really have the oomph.
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get bashed for this,but I don't like the 27" as far as the size goes. The display looks wonderful though. I find the 24" to be the perfect size for me,which is fine because I'm going to buy one of the LED 24" LED monitors to go with my mini as soon as I see another one come up in the refurb store.

I do love the i7 intel quad core that is offered with it. My friend has the 2.66 in a Dell XPS studio and it will encode and render video like nothing I've ever seen.
TopherBrink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will too get bashed for this, but I find the way they ended the bezel to be a leap in the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, I like how the bezel now goes ALL the way to the edges, but I HATE the square corners.

BTW: First post @ 123MM!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to 123macmini TopherBrink.

I didn't like the look of the iMac at first but its definitely growing on me. I have the older model iMac with the aluminium surrounding the screen area and it does look more symmetrical with the rounded corners top and bottom.

The aluminium fascia on the bottom of the display is also much smaller now than on the model I have, which I think is a good thing. I don't really see any other way Apple could have done the transition from glass panel to aluminium without it looking really odd, so I think they have it right. I've got to say I like my iMac but given the choice I'd definitely swap main for a shiny new 27" model Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: