123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought a Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Bought a Mini Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I just found this site and I am excited to see this type of Mac Mini site pop up. I bought a Mac Mini from Mac Mall! I checked the Apple Store and CompUsa but neither of them had or could get the set up i wanted. So I ended up at MacMall and got the following:

Mac mini 1.42GHz
80GB
SuperDrive
256MB RAM

Stylus R300 Color Photo Printer -$19 after rebate
Free MacAlly FREE Keyboard & Mouse

I decided that I would buy the 512mg ram and install it myself. That helped me to save about $25 over having it installed by them.

This is the first new Mac that I have bought since I bought my old PPC 6500/250 back in 1997! I have modded and upgraded several different Mac's throught the years including an old WGS 7350/180 and a beige G3/266 MT that I have a G4/500mhz, 64mg Radeon 7000 video card and 762mg RAM and a DVD burner as well. I all ready have some ideas for mods on my new Mini to make it a little more special and I look forward to sharing this info and picture here with the rest of the Mini Addicts!

Now I just have to remain calm and patient while I wait for my Mini to arrive. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo!

Congrats!

The waiting is the hardest part!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal! Why kind of mods are you planning?

Did you order the 512MB yet? If not you may want to check this out... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-166&depa=1
mgckmn73

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: just ordered mine not half an hour ago Reply with quote

I just ordered a mac mini from http://www.maczone.com . They were very helpfull and able to get me everything i wanted for a relatively low price.

1.25 Mac Mini
40 GB Hard Drive
512 MB Ram
Keyboard and Mouse

I plan on eventually getting 1GB of ram and putting it in there myself and after the Warranty runs out i think i am going to mod the case a bit too. This is my first official mac, even though i have been using one for years. Congrats to anyone who makes this move.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: just ordered mine not half an hour ago Reply with quote

mgckmn73 wrote:
I just ordered a mac mini from http://www.maczone.com . They were very helpfull and able to get me everything i wanted for a relatively low price.

1.25 Mac Mini
40 GB Hard Drive
512 MB Ram
Keyboard and Mouse

I plan on eventually getting 1GB of ram and putting it in there myself and after the Warranty runs out i think i am going to mod the case a bit too. This is my first official mac, even though i have been using one for years. Congrats to anyone who makes this move.

Apple says that opening the Mini up does not void the warranty. So feel free to drop it in now if think you can handle that! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Good deal! Why kind of mods are you planning?

Did you order the 512MB yet? If not you may want to check this out... http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-166&depa=1

The first thing I want to do is make a base for it that will have USB and Firewire ports on the front or side and possibly a power switch on the front so that it is easier to power up. Everything is still in my head at this point until I get my little gem in my hands.

And yes I ordered the 512MB from OtherWorld Computing. I found they had the best price at $49.In fact I have it sitting here waiting for the Mini the same as I am.

I now see that they have the 1GB stick for $129 ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDR1024/ )
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A front power button would be cool! I was thinking about making some sort of USB/Firewire hub for below the mini. If I could get my hands on a second Mac mini case I would cut out the front and put the guts in it or perhaps I'll make some sort of wooden base and paint it white or silver. I've been looking around for Hub that will work...any suggestions?
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
A front power button would be cool! I was thinking about making some sort of USB/Firewire hub for below the mini. If I could get my hands on a second Mac mini case I would cut out the front and put the guts in it or perhaps I'll make some sort of wooden base and paint it white or silver. I've been looking around for Hub that will work...any suggestions?

I was also thinking of building a wood base to house a hub (USB/Firewire) of some type. An empty Mini Case would be cool but I fear the price would be to high. I have a old Belken USB hub that I thought I would use. to tear the guts out and fit in to the case I build. Then once I feel good about that I will get a new USB 2.0 hub and Firewire hub and rip into them. As for the power button I have a couple ideas for that ranging from using a small length of dowel, a spring and rocker arm to depress the power switch to actually removing the button on the back and moving it to the front of the base by extending the wires. But that will depend on what I find once I get my Mini and open it. Razz
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some random thoughts but you could: get a 2 inch thick solid piece of wood you could trace out the shape from the top of the case. Then cut it out and sand it to smooth it to match the size of the case with the rounded corners. Then with a router or chisel you could notch out a place from the bottom for the hub to fit in. Sand it and paint it up. Maybe what we really need is for that Norm guy on PBS to make us one! lol
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a solid piece of aluminium!!! Cut it, sand it and Ta Da! a base! Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried to cut a solid piece of aluminium? Crying or Very sad
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the lack of Mac mini specific accessories so far. By now I thought there'd be hubs, media readers and external drives to go along with the mini.
mgckmn73

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple says that opening the Mini up does not void the warranty. So feel free to drop it in now if think you can handle that!

- Yeah I can handle that, i was more refering to waiting till the warentee was up before i tried any serious modifications of the case.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgckmn73 wrote:
Apple says that opening the Mini up does not void the warranty. So feel free to drop it in now if think you can handle that!

- Yeah I can handle that, i was more refering to waiting till the warentee was up before i tried any serious modifications of the case.

Do drill holes void warranty? lol
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Hey Devo! Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I found this article online about removing the power button from the Mac Mini! Very Interesting!!!!!

http://tunertricks.com/blog/index.php?p=41

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: