123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Network with Big XServe Style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Network with Big XServe Style Reply with quote

Mac mini Network with Big XServe Style
Monday February 6, 2006

Ken Collins of MetaSkills.net has written an interesting article about his Mac mini server setup. "I needed to use the Mac mini as the core hardware component for my home network. Mostly because it looks good and small form fits easily on my desk. Good as that might be, the Mac minis do have drawbacks and, if you're serious about your hosting choices, these do have to be overcome," writes Ken.

His setup includes three Mac minis and two NewerTech miniStacks. Mac mini one is being used for mail and external DNS. Mac mini two (WebSvr) is being used for internal DNS services. The last Mac mini (DbSvr) is being used as a database server. The DbSvr is using Apple's IP over FireWire capabilities to connect to the WebSvr. The miniStacks are being used as boot drives to improve each of the server's performance.

Ken also modded his Mac minis to improve Airport signal strength. "The most logical place to run the AirPort antenna externally is through the security hole on the back right side. The only other choice would have had us drilling holes in the vents and the hood that funnels air out the back of the Mac Mini. Least invasive is good, so I took a dremel to widen that hole up. I made a circular opening the same diameter as the existing width of the security hole," writes Ken.

If you're interested in using your Mac mini as a server or learning more about installing an Airport kit and/or improving signal strength, you'll want to check out the rest of Ken's article.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/433.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: