123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best "Free" Game Ever!! Should come with every MIN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Best "Free" Game Ever!! Should come with every MIN Reply with quote

LOL. Low and behold. The absolute best space fighter game ever to appear on the PC has now made it's way to the Mac platform, and it's Free!!!

Freespace 2 is now available for the Mac.

This is quite literally the best space flight simulator I can remember playing.

Here's what you get.
Quote:
A single-player campaign with over 30 missions. New scenarios include flying with Vasudan squadrons, piloting advanced stealth fighters, and "painting" targets with TAG (Target Acquisition & Guidance) missiles.
Command up to eleven squadmates in battle. Order them to defend, attack, disarm or disable your target.
An in-depth combat system enables players to target and destroy subsystems, disabling engines, defensive turrets, missile batteries, and fighterbays.
Armed with cutting-edge weaponry, new fighters and bombers hurl the player into complex, fast-paced WWII-style dogfights.
An innovative and immersive nebula environment changes gameplay dynamics. Impaired visibility, communications, and targeting ability create opportunities for ambush and new combat tactics.
Up to 12 players can battle in dogfight, team vs. team (8 players max.), and cooperative missions via LAN, TCP/IP, and modem.

Here's a rundown of what Freespace is...
Quote:
The year is 2367. Thirty-two years have passed since the Great War. The only jump node to Sol collapsed long ago, isolating Earth from the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance (GTVA), a new government uniting old enemies. As the Terrans and Vasudans struggle to rebuild their civilizations, civil war erupts in the Polaris system. A rogue Terran admiral declares war against the Vasudans, and his rebellion threatens the stability of the Alliance.
Without warning, the Shivans return, and the GTVA launches a crusade to eliminate their Great War nemesis. Once again, the Alliance must crush the Shivan onslaught or else face annihilation.

And this baby runs on a Mac Mini just fine. Enjoy!!!
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Freespace 2 Reference Bible can be found here.

Seriously, this game is worth buying a 3rd party gamepad for. It's that good.

Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Background Info on Original Freespace...

The original FreeSpace game was set in 2335. At the beginning of the game, Terrans (humans) have been at war with Vasudans (an alien species) for fourteen years. Suddenly, a third species, known as the Shivans, appears on the scene. The Terrans and Vasudans are directly threatened by their massive fleet led by the flagship Lucifer. As a result, the feuding races formed an alliance to defeat the technologically-superior Shivans. A group of zealous Vasudans called the Hammer of Light would interfere with the alliance, believing that the Shivans were gods. A fourth, unseen race is known as the Ancients, whose lore detailed their war with the Shivans and thorough knowledge of subspace portals that linked the universe's systems together. These portals are a natural phenomenon that are used to connect planetary systems to each other and allow quick transit between them through the use of "jump nodes".

In the final mission of FreeSpace, the Lucifer is in transit through the Sol jump-node. A small strike force of fighters and bombers are able to destroy the five main reactors that power the massive ship and destroy it as it leaves subspace. In doing so, they destroy the Sol jump-node, severing Earth's connection with the rest of the Universe. A large mod for FreeSpace 2 titled Sol: A History was released which tells the story of the Sol system from the time of the Lucifer's destruction, to several years after FreeSpace 2. It can be found here.
Silent Threat took place around the same time as the original FreeSpace. It chronicled the fall of GTI (Galactic Terran Intelligence), a rogue faction within Terran Command that specialized in secret operations and research.
FreeSpace 2 takes place 32 years after the events of the original FreeSpace. The alliance between the Terrans and Vasudans is sealed with the foundation of the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance (GTVA). The GTVA campaign in this game is three-fold. Their first priority was in stopping the Neo-Terran Front (NTF) led by Admiral Aken Bosch. Bosch, a veteran of the GTI, united a group of rogue Terrans under the banner of hatred of Vasudans. Initially, he threatened to destabilize the Alliance and destroy the Vasudan race. The second priority was the discovery of the Knossos Device, a massive, ring-shaped machine believed to have been constructed by the Ancients. In essence, the Knossos Device appeared to be an artificial portal generator. This obviously interested the Terrans, who were still searching for a way to return to their homeworld. The third, and most dangerous, was the return of the Shivans. This time, the Shivans have a fearsome new array of ships, including the juggernaut-class Sathanas that is over 5.5 kilometers in length.
During the course of the campaign, the player learns about the truth behind the Neo-Terran Front and the nature of the Knossos Device. The NTF insurgency is quelled near the beginning of the campaign when the Knossos Device is activated; this opens access to a nebula that is discovered to be filled with Shivan forces. The eventual retreat and destruction of the portal is not enough to stop the second Shivan incursion, and as hopes for victory slowly disappear, humanity takes desperate measures in order to secure its survival.The most daring of these was the use of the GTD Bastion loaded with "Meson Bombs" detonated in the threshold of a jump node in order to seal it in the same manner as the Lucifer's destruction at the end of the the first war, which sealed the Sol system off from the rest of the universe.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fun!!

Are you sure it's free? What's with the comments on VT?
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
kes601

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you need to actually own the Windows version to get this to run, here are the requirements(notice the part that says "original game data files"):

Product Requirements:
Minimum:
Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later
PowerPC G4 867 MHz or faster
512 MB of memory
ATI Radeon 7500 or NVIDIA GeForce2 with 32 MB Video RAM
Original game data files + a minimum of 60 MB of disk space
OpenAL 1.0 framework installed
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kes601 wrote:
Looks like you need to actually own the Windows version to get this to run, here are the requirements(notice the part that says "original game data files"):

That's odd. Maybe I have a different 1.4gb download, but I'm running this with just the data files in the .dmg download.

Here's is a much faster download.

Note that this is a 1.4 GIGABYTE file. It has everything you need to run the game.
Roughneck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Anyone other than I get this baby running?
Roughneck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so am I to assume that I'm the only mini owner that's running this great game?
rosco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughneck wrote:
Ok, so am I to assume that I'm the only mini owner that's running this great game?

Well, it fails to run for me... crashes and says a file is missing.
cinemafia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I migrate some stuff off my Mini's internal onto my external drive, then I'll d/l and try it out.

Smile
Roughneck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosco wrote:
Roughneck wrote:

Well, it fails to run for me... crashes and says a file is missing.

Which OS are you running? If you're running anything earlier than Tiger, yes...you'd need an additional piece of software.
GrendelPrime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling down a copy now while I wait for Handbrake to grind through it's queue.
I'll have to see if my Mini will accept my M$ Sidewinder joystick.
The functionality of my M$ Trackball Optical has been effectively neutered under OS/X drivers.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrendelPrime wrote:
I'll have to see if my Mini will accept my M$ Sidewinder joystick.

You may need USB Overdrive

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Information.html
Leander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me.

Is there a resolution option in this game?

I can only see detail options in the menus.
Roughneck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leander wrote:
Works for me.

Is there a resolution option in this game?

I can only see detail options in the menus.

I know there is, but I think it can only be accessed through the TERMINAL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: