123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sky on Mac Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerrybhoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Sky on Mac Mini? Reply with quote

Hi, I am just new to the world of Mac and am looking for a bit of advice. Was planning to have my mac mini replace my dvd player and so on, but wot I was really looking to do was get my sky set up so that it would go through my Mac Mini so I record programmes. I am not the most technologically advanced person ( or the best speller) so I need some help with this.

Is it possible. I see on the back of the sky did box that it has a RS232 port. I was wondering if I could hook the sky up through this port to my Mac Mini via the usb port. I have spent many hours trying to find info on wether this would work and if it is at all possible that I would b able to watch sky on my Mac Mini but with no luck. If this would hook up wot software would I need to actually watch the programmes.

Any help would b very much appreciated.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wot you need is a video capture device. most of these run via USB which doesnt provide the best results but if its going throught firewire it should look good. the apple store has one available: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/9201309/wo/897zhwLYgYuz2ZjkIem1RfWbvFA/1.0.0.19.1.0.8.9.2.11.1.9.0.0.1
you hook up your sky box either by an RCA cable or a Scart. if you search for this on google you might get it for a better price.
hope that helps
gerrybhoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Another wee question Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply. I was thinking that once the signal has went from the sky box it is then unscrambled so the feed could go strait in2 the mac. Oh well, al have a look on the net. I have already bot an RS232 cable that would connect to the computer so al have a wee look n c wot happens when a cnnect it up to the mac.

Wot is the best video capture device that I could use watch sky on the mac n wheres the best place to get it!
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i dont have much experience with capture devices but the firewire one from the apple store i posted the link for seems to have lots af very positive reivews thought the price is a bit steep.
gerrybhoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the link but it comes up and says that my the session has timed out, any chance u could post it again or tell me where 2 find it. Cheers
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it does. sorry about that. first off i take it your in the uk?! go onto the apple store scroll down and find a box saying watch tv on your mac.> scroll down on that page and you will find the EyeTV 200 FireWire Digital Video Recorder by Elgato. hope that helps!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: