123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDTV without DVI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: HDTV without DVI? Reply with quote

I recently saw a 20" lcd hdtv for a cheap price I'd like to hook my mini up to, except it doesn't have a DVI port! Is there any other high quality way I can hook my mini up to this screen maybe through those component video ports? Is there a way to use this with the mini as a usable monitor or should I step up to a higher price point?
kes601

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if this will work or not because I have not tried it, but this product is a cable that goes from DVI to Component. Again, I just want to make sure and point out I have never tried it, so I don't know if it could damage your tv or not:

http://monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023504&p_id=2508&seq=1&format=2&style=
poisonfist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI would be best since it'll keep the digital signal to the TV.

328i sport package
kes601

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:
HDMI would be best since it'll keep the digital signal to the TV.

I agree, but I was assuming the tv did not have HDMI either. You can get a DVI-HDMI cable from the same site I mentioned above. I have used it to connect my DVR box to my TV.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HDTV without DVI? Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
I recently saw a 20" lcd hdtv for a cheap price I'd like to hook my mini up to, except it doesn't have a DVI port! Is there any other high quality way I can hook my mini up to this screen maybe through those component video ports? Is there a way to use this with the mini as a usable monitor or should I step up to a higher price point?

Can you clarify, does the TV have HDMI? As the above posters mentioned, then you can use a DVI to HDMI converter.

Otherwise you have no choice but to use component cables..

I also recommend using a premium cable like "Monster". I know they seem overpriced, but I have found Monster cables to be far superior to cheaper cables, especially when it comes to digital output (HDMI/DVI)...
ecking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it has HDMI, I'll have to go by the store again. But I kind of doubt it.
druber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what your goal is. Do you just want a big monitor for your mini, on the cheap? Do you actually want a high definition display?

All the 20" LCD TVs I can remember seeing that were 4:3 (i.e. not widescreen) had resolutions of 800x600. Pretty poor by monitor standards. They do usually have a VGA port, though, to make connecting it to a computer a bit easier. Do you remember the brand/model of the tv?

I'm very skeptical of $100+ cables, especially in fairly low-fi systems. They're certainly better than the crap that comes with most electronics, wires as thin as twisty-ties. But you'll get most of the benefit of a fancy cable by spending $20 or so (vs $4 for the cheapos, $100 for the "high-end" name brand stuff). Because of course Monster isn't the highest you can go. I've got a couple 1-meter cables in my audio system that would be $300 new? You can pay $10,000 for a cable if you want to. I won't rule out the possibility that there's some audible difference, but I'd expect you'd need a very very high-end system to notice it. Very very very high-end. I don't recommend crappy cables to anyone, but cables can't improve the signal; they can only keep it from degrading. Choose cables to match your system and your budget.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm very skeptical of $100+ cables, especially in fairly low-fi systems. They're certainly better than the crap that comes with most electronics, wires as thin as twisty-ties. But you'll get most of the benefit of a fancy cable by spending $20 or so (vs $4 for the cheapos, $100 for the "high-end" name brand stuff). Because of course Monster isn't the highest you can go. I've got a couple 1-meter cables in my audio system that would be $300 new? You can pay $10,000 for a cable if you want to. I won't rule out the possibility that there's some audible difference, but I'd expect you'd need a very very high-end system to notice it. Very very very high-end. I don't recommend crappy cables to anyone, but cables can't improve the signal; they can only keep it from degrading. Choose cables to match your system and your budget.

I agree with you here, it makes zero sense to buy a cheap monitor that has low resoltion and then spend just as much on cables Smile

Likewise, it is idiotic to spend alot of money on an expensive monitor, or TV, then put cheap cables on them..

Monster is, by no means, the best or most expensive cables on the market, but I have found them to be better than most cables. Monster also makes three tiers of cables so you can still find affordable ($20-40) cables at a place like Target (for instance their standard 8' component video cable, which is THX certified, is $29 on the web)...
ecking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just show you guys the tvs I'm considering, I'm looking at a smaller HD tv for a couple of reasons:

1. It's HD!
2. It's for a bedroom
3. It should make using it as the mini's screen possible instead of the werid blurry junk I've seen.
4. I will be getting a sony hc1 followed by a sony fx1 or z1u in the near future and want to be able to plug them into the tv to watch dailies.

So without further adue I'll present to you the cheap small HD tvs I'm interested in:
*note* Even if the description says otherwise they do both 1080i and 720p

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10062076&catid=23242

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10064032&catid=23242

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10068437&catid=

I'm leaning towards the prima tv because of price, size and the reviews it has. I really have no idea about specs.

Ah hell maybe I'll just keep using the monitor I'm using and just use the HD tv as a tv/ dallies viewer.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecking wrote:
I'll just show you guys the tvs I'm considering, I'm looking at a smaller HD tv for a couple of reasons:

1. It's HD!
2. It's for a bedroom
3. It should make using it as the mini's screen possible instead of the werid blurry junk I've seen.
4. I will be getting a sony hc1 followed by a sony fx1 or z1u in the near future and want to be able to plug them into the tv to watch dailies.

So without further adue I'll present to you the cheap small HD tvs I'm interested in:
*note* Even if the description says otherwise they do both 1080i and 720p

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10062076&catid=23242

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10064032&catid=23242

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10068437&catid=

I'm leaning towards the prima tv because of price, size and the reviews it has. I really have no idea about specs.

Ah hell maybe I'll just keep using the monitor I'm using and just use the HD tv as a tv/ dallies viewer.

As a TV, I think all three will look good. As a monitor for your Mini it really depends on the type of resolution you will get. You may find that you will have to run in 1024x768 and have black bars across the sides of your screen when using the Mini.. I would also Google the model you want and try to determine if other users have successfully used it as a computer monitor.

I am also hoping to buy a LCD TV for the bedroom in the near future, but really want something around the 30" territory.. I currently have a 56" Samsung DLP and it is so hard to look at anything smaller than 30" now (I know, real sob story huh?)
Silver Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy Monster. They are so overpriced and hyped...
From my experience many people on Home Theatre boards recommend Blue Jeans cables (sorry I'm not able to find a link) and they are apparently cheaper then Monster and better too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: