123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel PowerMac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Intel PowerMacs have a New Case?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Intel PowerMac Reply with quote

Do you think Apple will change the case design when the Intel PowerMac comes out?

The current design is very large and makes more noise than I care for. I hope is becomes a smaller/quieter machine.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes. I also think the new Mac mini and iBook will have new cases.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I voted yes. I also think the new Mac mini and iBook will have new cases.

I think the iBook will be redesigned as well. I don't think Apple will change the design of the Mac mini if it is just a processor change. They still would not be able to make the machine any smaller. I doubt they will make a bigger mini, unless it is some sort of media center edition, which would likely be an entirely new design (more like a home stereo component/ game console)
ranger1021

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All for one, and none for no Laughing
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest cosmetic change will be the new name prominently displayed somewhere. (I think they are dumping "power" from all their new model names)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think old products will essentially keep their same form factor--that sends a message of solid continuity to new purchasers (i.e. "it's the same Mac, just the hamster on the wheel inside is different").

New products (I think the home theater thingy will be a new product in addition to an identical-looking Intel Mini) I'm sure Jonathan Ive will have lots of fun with.

Smile

Jamie
cinemafia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the form factor and noise of the G5 is because of the G5 chip itself, so assuming the Intel chip they end up using will probably generate a lot less heat, there won't be any reason to keep the same size and shape. That and Apple is likely going to want it to stand out. In other words, yes.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinemafia wrote:
Most of the form factor and noise of the G5 is because of the G5 chip itself, so assuming the Intel chip they end up using will probably generate a lot less heat, there won't be any reason to keep the same size and shape. That and Apple is likely going to want it to stand out. In other words, yes.

I totally agree! the reason the G5 PowerMac was designed the way that it was was because of the heat generated by the G5 chip! Apple will take this as another opportunity to show why they lead the industry in design. and the next incarnation of the pro line of Macintosh computers will be a bold statement and will really blow people away! After all the current G5 case form factor has been around for a couple of years now and apple doesn't like to keep a design to long to allow it to get stale!!! They had no choice with the Powerbooks until they could get the much cooler (heat wise) and faster Intel processor into it!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GrendelPrime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a G5, but have been a huge fan of the aesthetics and design since I first saw it.
I think the current incarnation can be adapted to house the Intel CPU without a major re-design, and use the superior air flow to produce a nearly inaudible, but immensely powerful workstation.
Looking back on Apple's more recent design decisions, I trust they'll come up with something equally impressive for their next generation flagship.
AndyMac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duo core runs hot. I have an acer with a DUO core and i can feel the heat from it on the touchpad. Maybe its jut acers lame design but i dont think these chips run very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: