123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Mac mini as media tool...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superpixel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: My Mac mini as media tool... Reply with quote

Not yet a home theater, but working on it. Here's where I'm at so far:
1. El Gato EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 (check out my blog below for a review)
2. 120 GB external firewire drive(s)
3. LaCie d2 DVD burner
4. VNC installed for remote administration

The upgrades, at a minimum, should include the DVI-S-Video adapter for the TV, and the ATI Remote Wonder (version 2 I think).

That should allow me to put it in the bedroom. I'm going to use my old 802.11b Linksys WAP-11 for wireless, until I can get the Airport/BT upgrade. With that also comes the BT keyboard/mouse!

Right now I'm just using the El Gato as a capture device, then exporting video out and dropping it in my iBook's shared folder... Not very efficient, but it works. Since I work on Thursday evenings, I can now get my TV shows for viewing the next day!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the Apple DVI-S-Video adapter? How does the picture look with the adapter and what size TV are you using with?
superpixel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: not yet... Reply with quote

I don't have the S-video adapter for the mini yet. However, from what I've read and what I've experienced on my icebook (using RCA video out) it will NOT be that great.

Even on a nice TV text for browsing and email won't be legible. I used my iBook G3 to videotape a number of things (SVHS at SP) and text looks too muddy to read.

However, my "solution" is to either use Firefox and a custom CSS technique for many sites-- using a larger, bold font for body text.

Another solution is to use the screen zooming (enabled under Universal Access in Prefs). I LOVE screen zooming, and it really impresses the Windows crowd.

Obviously it helps to make icons full-size in Finder, and eventually I'll setup the whole thing using the Simple Finder and a custom account for "TV use" only...
shtech

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Works great with Sharp AQUOS Reply with quote

I have most of the home theater working but I have not found a good SMALL keyboard yet. I have the mini hooked up to the Sharp via DVI (the AQUOS comes with both DVI and HDMI ports) and it look great.

What I need now is a good small foot print keyboard and mouse. The Gyration unit looks good but does not work all that well and macally's BTkey and mouse are not out yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

shtech
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: