123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Shopping again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCWalker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Computer Shopping again Reply with quote

Currently own a Mid 2011 Mini and keeping it thanks to the recent upgrades to 16 GB of RAM and a SSD. Excellent computer again.

Need to get a second one. Planning to use it for radio automation software, FTP and also running my Davis Weather Station software.

I will be running a internet stream almost continuously on the new computer since my format will be News/Talk. The automation software is Megaseg and it plays the stream from the same computer that the automation software is on. Will run a few commercials, PSA's, Sweepers ( only run a few seconds) and from time to time a downloaded mp3 file of a program. Those will not run at the same time the internet stream is going. No need to use a stream fed into the Line In either since it will run on the same computer as Megaseg.

FTP will be used once hourly for a few seconds to download a network news cast. Five minutes long newscasts.

Weather software. Seems not be be a drain on RAM or the Processor since it is only uploading data and no images. Does this frequently around every few minutes.

I need to get some feedback about how to proceed with the purchase of a new Mini or possibly laptop. First, is having more Memory more important than a new and faster processor? I've done some tests with my existing Mini where I had Megaseg running the internet stream, downloaded two separate audio files that were an hour long mp3's simultaneously while the stream was running and also uploaded 870 files to one of my websites. I noted that the 2011 Mini with 16 GB of RAM worked perfectly and did not result in a stuttering or stoppage of the live internet stream. Processor is an i5 2.5 ghz speed.

Wondering if a new base Mini with only 4 GB of RAM but with the new processor could handle the live stream, FTP and weather logger data downloads running simultaneously or would the internet stream get interrupted?

Would I be better off buying something like a used 2010 or 2011 Mini or Macbook and maxing out the Memory to 16 GB again or say use at least 8 GB which I am certain will still be sufficient to run three task as outlined at the same time?

Any ideas?
Hoot69

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: More than 4GB Ram... Reply with quote

If you are certain you can get by with 4GB ram, there are plenty of 2014 for sale (with the 500GB HD) on eBay for around $350. Apple sells re-furbished for $419.

If you want to add Ram or an SSD at a later time, you need to stick to the 20011/2012 models. 2014 units cannot be upgraded with Ram (it soldered on) and the SSD upgrade is a pain.

I recently went from late 2009 to a 2014 with SSD, and even for daily use there is a huge difference in feel and speed.

I still go by the old mantra...buy the best unit you can afford from day 1.

=-= Hoot
WCWalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a late 2012 i5 model for only $200! Will upgrade it when I have the chance. With 16 GB of RAM or even 8 and a SSD this will be a fine computer for many years to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: