123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini SSD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Mac Mini SSD Reply with quote

Well I hope this forum does not go away as I am disappointed that nothing has really been updated.

So with that being said, I am thinking of getting a new Mac 2014 Mac Mini to replace my 2012 model. (My 6th one since 2005). So how fast does it boot? Is it worth the SSD?

thank you
Pat
saul

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the mini gets an update soon.

Instead of buying the 2014 you could add a SSD to your 2012 and see most of the speed improvements.
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to get a SSD installed in my 2011 Mini next month. Based upon what Saul has said and upon additional research, the unit will be quite fast and probably faster than the comparable new Mini in the current lineup.
MJL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not been here in a while. I've got a 2012 Mac mini with the Samsung SSD and the 2014 Mac mini with the PCIe SSD. I'm running windows 8.1 on both machines and although the 2014 is theorectically faster it does not have a noticeable impact my workflow. Boot up and shut down times are faster which is noticeable.

Occasionally I have to do a virus scan and the 2014 does finish faster but then the 2014 has the 2.8 Ghz CPU and the 2012 is the base model.

I need to regularly upgrade to the latest model (I'm running some software that has to be up 24/7) but if that was not the case then I cannot see a reason to upgrade and would run the 2012 model until it dies on me. Just keep the innards free of dust, which is easier to do on the 2012 model since it does not have fancy screws.
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the SSD installed in my mid 2011 Mini. Added El Capitan too. Between that and maxing out the memory to 16 GB I have a very useful computer again. Fast and can handle several tasks at one. I actually was running a radio station automation software program (Megaseg) with a live stream on it plus downloaded a couple of Podcasts, uploaded 875 files to one of my websites and viewed a weather radar image simultaneously. Handled every task without a single hiccup. Granted the download and upload speeds were diminished some but most importantly nothing was interrupted and the internet stream continued to play without a single glitch.

Shopping for a second 2011 Mini in the very near future. Will do the same upgrades. Will be set for the next five years based upon the results I am seeing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: