123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

El Capitan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: El Capitan Reply with quote

I'm going to buy a new SSD and replace the existing SATA 5400 rpm drive on my mid 2011 Mini. Will upgrade the ram to 16 gb too.

I was thinking of keeping the current internal drive intact while I add an external SSD and then start from scratch on that. That way I don't have to worry about losing my existing data.

Has anyone tried downloading El Capitan to an external drive and then add software to the external drive without initially replacing the internal drive? I would do that at a later time if I don't run into any problems with the new OS. Will buy from OWC where the drives can be used either internally or externally.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have done it and no i don't recommend it it has issues being on external drives it likes to beachball every now and then.
WCWalker

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think what I will do then is use Carbon Copy Cloner and copy my existing internal drive to an external drive. Will then install a new SSD in the Mini and then load El Capitan onto that.

With that in mind, how do I install El Capitan onto a completely blank and new internal hard drive in a Mini?
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obtained a copy of El Capitan on a Flash Drive. Problem solved. Wish Apple would go back to offering backup DVD's for each computer sold. Happy to pay a few extra bucks for that or perhaps they could include a Flash Drive with all the software on it when you purchase a new computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: