123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just added SSD to my 2012 Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Just added SSD to my 2012 Mac Mini Reply with quote

Just added SSD to my 2012 Mac Mini. The price of $109.00 for a 500 GB Samsung EVO, made me decide. I picked it up a few weeks ago NewEgg via eBay and used a $24 eBay promo code, that brought it down to $109. and free shipping.

Wow a blazing mini now. It will be hard to ever go back. No issues no problems "Black Magic" app says the Writes are 490 MB/s and the Reads are 509 MB/s under a 5 GB test load. My boot from power off, >Chime>23-28 seconds full loaded. Running multiple apps and multiple video, never once saw the spinning beachball. I am truly happy. Wow.

I decided against adding the SSD as a dual drive, opting for simply replacing the original 5400 rpm HD. I already store my large files and Photos to an external anyhow, so why pay for the upgrade kit and have an internal storage HD if it will be rarely used. Why risk damaging the mac with my big thumbs. Much easier to just do a swap of the drives. You just need to pickup a T6 and T8 Torx screwdriver or head. Instead of a smudge tool I used one of my medium gauge guitar picks to unseat the cables. Plenty of guides out there to look at if you get interested.

If I can pass on some information I learned concerning the Samsung 850 EVO. I wrote to Samsung concerning upgrading the firmware, they were very responsive saying that I could but via a windows machine before install. Samsung said "Yes enable TRIM".

Yesterday at the Apple store with a friend who was having his laptop worked on, I had a long conversation with an Apple genius. She said "Well if it were me and everything is running smoothly, I would leave the TRIM disabled and she said that she would not go through a windows machine to upgrade any firmware. Her experience had been that the firmware updates can sometimes brick the mac and either wait for Mac to work out the solution in the future, or risk problems with my machine. I'm in complete agreement with her "Ain't broke, don't fix it". Update and firmware meant for windows rarely work with macs unless mac makes the dmg. I understand that Trim can help in the longevity of the drive (but not convinced it alters any performance one enabled. I will wait.

Sorry for the long post but perhaps there is something here that is usable by other members and too, discussions generated are always helpful.
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
zedtvl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,
I am thinking of installing a dual hard drive with the kit but I have to find out how to make it work by doing a little homework. Compared to the old minis did you find the process more difficult or the same?
Why do you think it much easier to just do a swap of the drives?
The reason why I am asking that is that I thought that installing the kit represented less components to undo.
Thanks for your answer
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Compared to the old minis did you find the process more difficult or the same

Although it should have been easier........it was not to me because it was a new experience and I took my time. Checking steps along the way. I would look at my iPad which had the instructions and picture, and step by step. slowly) I think it would be a much easier task the second time around (just like the old mini....I had been in and out of those many times so it became easier). My whole issue on the new one was to not break anything. It all seems so fragile in there. Just find a step by step guide and follow it and make sure you have the correct tools, plenty of space and lots of light and a pair of glasses. Keep the screws at a place where they cannot get lost.
All the screws are so tiny, as well as the connectors. I can see why people have said to be very careful unplugging connectors because "force" used could easily detach the entire thing from the motherboard.

My toughest part was putting the new drive (studs/grommets) into it's appointed slots. Gravity fought me so I finally turned it slightly upside down (gently).

Quote:
The reason why I am asking that is that I thought that installing the kit represented less components to undo.

Well, I just decided that for me it would be easier and cheaper to just swap the drive out. I saw recommendations on some instructions that would have me pulling the motherboard out. I just wanted to do this as simple as possible. but I must admit that once the drive was out I thought ...."wow I could have done the dual drive thing with a few more steps". But, I had no need or interest in keeping a second drive in there, since I have several USB 3.0 large (4TB) externals (one is for backups and the other for photos and storage). i.e..... plug my iPhone/or flash card in and goes directly to the already plugged in external. It's a pretty easy process just sending stuff to an already hooked up external. Now, I could see why someone might want to have two drives inside. In my case it wasn't needed. Besides a spinning HD with an SSD above, makes the empty space inside smaller, it can only make more heat IMHO.

My goal was to replace the HD with the same size SSD, and I keep that drive as I did the other (using only 40-50 percent of it's capacity).

I know that there are many success stories on making the mini a dual drive system SSD/HD. But there are horror stories as well, of the kit's HD adapters only having a 3 GBs connection instead of the same original native 6 GBs connector. I knew that my swap of drives would prevent that issue or concern (that said, avoid the cheap eBay kits, and stick with places like OWC and other reputable sellers, and when in doubt just verify with them that the kit has a 6 GBs adapter.

Hopefully this gives you some thought before choosing what you want to do.

One thing that I can assure you of is that regardless the route you choose, "You can do this". When completed you will say to yourself , "Well that wasn't that hard at all"!

Keep us all updated and best of luck.
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
woad82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 250GB Samsung 830 in mine along with the OEM 1TB drive, need to upgrade the 250 now as i need more storage. Not sure about the newer Sammys though so may go Intel.

Trim should be enabled in El Capitan so I have read, I didn;t have to enabled it with Trim enabler when I installed a clean version
zedtvl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer and explanations DonCarlos. Oh yes if I get one, it won't be through ebay, good point the connection, I would not thought about it assuming it would be 6GBs.
MJL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used SSD's for a long time - once you use one then there is no way going back.

My 2012 Mac mini uses two pulled Samsung SSD's from Mac laptop's, no fiddling with TRIM. One thing I need to stress is: use antistatic procedures!

If you do not do this you shorten the life of your computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: