123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OS X El Capitan Now Available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: OS X El Capitan Now Available Reply with quote

Wednesday, September 30th, 2015
Posted by: Staff

Apple today released OS X El Capitan as a free download for Mac users. According to the company, El Capitan builds on the groundbreaking features and beautiful design of OS X Yosemite, refining the Mac experience with updates to window management, built-in apps and Spotlight search, and performance improvements to make everyday activities - like launching and switching apps, opening PDFs and accessing email - faster and more responsive.

"People love using their Macs, and one of the biggest reasons is the power and ease-of-use of OS X," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "El Capitan refines the Mac experience and improves performance in a lot of little ways that make a very big difference. Feedback from our OS X beta program has been incredibly positive and we think customers are going to love their Macs even more with El Capitan."

El Capitan supports all Macs introduced in 2009 and later, and some models introduced in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2168.html
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OS X El Capitan Now Available Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Wednesday, September 30th, 2015
Posted by: Staff

Apple today released OS X El Capitan as a free download for Mac users. According to the company, El Capitan builds on the groundbreaking features and beautiful design of OS X Yosemite, refining the Mac experience with updates to window management, built-in apps and Spotlight search, and performance improvements to make everyday activities - like launching and switching apps, opening PDFs and accessing email - faster and more responsive.

"People love using their Macs, and one of the biggest reasons is the power and ease-of-use of OS X," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "El Capitan refines the Mac experience and improves performance in a lot of little ways that make a very big difference. Feedback from our OS X beta program has been incredibly positive and we think customers are going to love their Macs even more with El Capitan."

El Capitan supports all Macs introduced in 2009 and later, and some models introduced in 2007 and 2008.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2168.html
Areyou members interested in downloading this new OS? Thanks
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that.

Actually I got it within 15 minutes of the release. Not a drastic change from Yosemite, but still a great OS X
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun you can't downgrade to yosemite once you install this it firmware updates the mac and prevents yosemite from being reinstalled enjoy your new o.s
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Have fun you can't downgrade to yosemite once you install this it firmware updates the mac and prevents yosemite from being reinstalled enjoy your new o.s

Incorrect. I upgraded to El Capitan an then downgraded back to Yosemite on two different machines as a necessary piece of software wasn't El Cap friendly, no issues at all.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have MS Office 2016, don't install El Capitan until Microsoft issues a fix for its software. That is advice from Microsoft. There was also an issue with Outlook 2011 freezing in El Capitan when attempting to connect to an exchange server. This affected me, but a fix was issued yesterday and it solved the problem.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny on both my mac pro and my macbook air i can't return to yosemite have tried both refuse to load yosemite and i have had 14 machines already come back to our shop with the same issue where they where efi firmware updated before the installation and cannot go back it might be just a isolated incident but 14 machines so far this is going to get bad today.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Mac Mini 6,1 and my SSD is partitioned in 2, 1 for Yosemite and 1 for El Capitan.
I have no problem whatsoever switching between them when I boot.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found it i know whats going on with the firmware update.

The included efi firmware files in the installer install a keylogger same as windows 10 where its monitoring your keystrokes so it can catch you doing illegal acts while online.

But here is the fun part when it malfunctions it stops all o.s's from booting and blocks reinstallation this is what happened to these 14 machines we got in we had to remove the cr2032 battery off of them and reset the power management controller to get rid of it.

just incase you run into it this is how you correct it
Squid3660

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macman, please tell me you are joking about the keylogger statement,"its monitoring your keystrokes so it can catch you doing illegal acts while online".

Why would Apple do such a thing? I have not heard reporting of such news on any other site.

I have not upgraded, as I don't have a good internet connection to download 6gb through the app store, but that efi update sounds scary enough to avoid upgrading.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he's not joking. Unfortunately though none of what he said has any basis in reality either.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Roger that, EZ. I love and respect you both. We've been members here a looong time.

Completely off topic, but, wow, next year, my Mini1,1 will be ten years old! And its still running! Fortunately, it's only running 10.6.8, so, no key loggers like 10.11. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: