123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long do you think the life of a Mac Mini is ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How long do you think the life of a Mac Mini is ? Reply with quote

I would also recommend to open it once in a while to remove the accumulated dust which build up inside.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit late, but the only reason my G4 and C2D minis failed was because of the HDD, and not the computer. If the G4 was SATA, I think Id still be using it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5

Make sure it has pins!
DellApple

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average, computers are expected to last around 5 years if they are used regularily.
Mac1000x

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2009 Mac mini's hard drive just failed last week. I must say, though, after putting it through a lot of use I am surprised it managed to last 7 years! As previously said, it depends widely on your usage, but you should expect to get at least 5 years out of the Mini.
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

I have a ten year old Mini from the first generation of Intel processors. Upgraded the processor to a 2.33 mhz speed and maxed out the Ram. Going to add a SDD to it sometime this year. Will see if I can upgrade the 10.4.11 OS X to something newer. The primary problem I face with it is that it won't display many websites properly and Safari no longer seems to work. Firefox still works. Don't do much with it right now but plan to use it for radio station automation and possibly using it for weather station software. May try to install iWork '09 just to see if that will work on it. iWork '08 still does. So, it is now somewhat obsolete but still has a few uses.

I also have a mid 2011 Mini. In the process of maxing out the RAM at 16 GB and will add a SDD next month. Just did a clean install of El Capitan and even with just 8 GB of RAM I've noted a speed increase in virtually every task I do. I figure these upgrades will add another 3 to 5 years (along with future OS X upgrades) before it will become obsolete.
MJL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How long do you think the life of a Mac Mini is ? Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:
I would also recommend to open it once in a while to remove the accumulated dust which build up inside.

I bought some foam that is used for filtering the air intake of the carburator of motorbikes and my computers are sitting on that (I cut out a hole in the centre of the foam the size of the plastic bottom plate. Basically it sits on a ring of foam). The foam gets washed very 4 months or so (when I remember) and the insides stays 95% cleaner.

I never upgrade OS X since I am running windows (8.1 now, previous 7,8.1 will be supported to 2022, 7 to 2020 - computer is expected to die before that time)
WCWalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Upgrading is the key Reply with quote

I have a Mini from 2006 (first Intel Mini) that now has a upgraded 2.26 GHZ processor and 2 GB of RAM. Still is pretty speedy though with the older OS on it, Lion I think, it has limitations as far as what I can view on the internet. Plays movies and audio files just fine and even still handles many internet streams just fine.

I also have a mid 2011 Min. 2.5 ghz i5 processor. 16 GB of RAM. And now have a SSD in it. Did a Benchmark test on it and it comes in at over 5800 on the multi core processor test from Geeks. Still quite speedy and can multi task very well with the upgrades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: