123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long do you think the life of a Mac Mini is ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: How long do you think the life of a Mac Mini is ? Reply with quote

I have a 2011 MM with the original HD and 2.3 i5 intel processor.It is over 4 1/2 years old. How much more should I expect out of it? Thanks
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much more should I expect out of it?

I am sure you are going to get responses of machines much older than one of mine. My 2007 still runs like a champ. Never an issue. But since the furthest the OS could go was Lion, I just invested in a 2012.

My advice, if it runs great then keep it, regardless of whether you get a newer one or not.

I retired my old one to the upstairs TV and use it for media mostly
-2006 iMac G5/PowerPC/2 GB RAM
Leeann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and stepdaughter are both using late 2009 minis with no trouble at all. I'm using a mid-2011 mini and it's quite a bit faster than the 2009 minis, but they all function with no trouble.

And I have a 2007 mini as a server that's just chugging along, too. My brother-in-law is still using a G4 mini (somehow) using tenfourfox as his browser. It's not ideal, but it works.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeann wrote:
My husband and stepdaughter are both using late 2009 minis with no trouble at all. I'm using a mid-2011 mini and it's quite a bit faster than the 2009 minis, but they all function with no trouble.

And I have a 2007 mini as a server that's just chugging along, too. My brother-in-law is still using a G4 mini (somehow) using tenfourfox as his browser. It's not ideal, but it works.
That is incredible way back to 2009.Mac Mini is a durable and reliable machine I see it now more than their laptops.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 2007 and it works good - but i'm having trouble on some sites --with video --and glitchy things--my flash is not up todate --and i can't seem to down load a newer version --

is there any way to move ahead with this Mini ?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2009, 2011 and 2012 mini, all in use. The way I have kept them "fresh" is to upgrade the RAM and put SSD's in them. Even the 2009 flies with these upgrades. Unlike the current model, all of these are upgradable (both RAM and HD), and that alone is a good reason to keep using them. The only limitation on the 2011 model is that it has USB2 instead of USB3 ports. This makes a big difference if you ever have to run your mini from an external drive, but for standard access and backup, an external connection to your USB2 or Firewire 800 port is fast enough. Bottom line: I have no timetable to replace any of my three, including the one that is older than yours.
Rockysv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox
are you saying a new mini is not a good choice ?

for me - i think i need the tec support
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not at all. But you are more limited as to what you can do with it in the future than with the older models. So if you think you might ultimately need the bigger processor or more RAM, you have to buy them at the outset because you can't change these later. The hard drive is apparently changeable, but it is harder to change than it is in the older models. That means that buyers with less experience in doing this kind of thing will probably have to pay someone to do the exchange, or alternatively, pay more now and buy what you think you'll ultimately need from Apple at their higher prices.
JimT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
No, not at all. But you are more limited as to what you can do with it in the future than with the older models. So if you think you might ultimately need the bigger processor or more RAM, you have to buy them at the outset because you can't change these later. The hard drive is apparently changeable, but it is harder to change than it is in the older models. That means that buyers with less experience in doing this kind of thing will probably have to pay someone to do the exchange, or alternatively, pay more now and buy what you think you'll ultimately need from Apple at their higher prices.

I have replaced the hard drive on my 2014 Mini and it really is not that difficult.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: HD Reply with quote

JimT wrote:
Fox wrote:

I have replaced the hard drive on my 2014 Mini and it really is not that difficult.
How hard is it to replace. I have a 2011 MM still going strong almost 5 years in Dec.Thanks
Rockysv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a PC but my friend thinks it will not be any better for me--

I don't do much with my Mini --but i want it to work right -

I think the base mini would be better than what i have --but i want at least a 500g HD
JimT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HD Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
JimT wrote:
Fox wrote:

How hard is it to replace. I have a 2011 MM still going strong almost 5 years in Dec.Thanks

I believe I used the video on ifixit. Just take your time and watch the video a few times before doing it.
danfarmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using my 2006/07 mini. Runs perfect, though the fan is getting a bit noisy ( still quiter than typical pc ) and only because I likely bent something for the 1000 times I had it opened up.

Performs media duties now and runs a database (mysql), which I use everyday.

Still a useful machine.

Currently looking at a 2012 model.
mbiraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2005 pre intel chip Mac Mini that still runs perfect but i don't use it much now because the lack of intel chip and ability to upgrade limits its use. Mac mini's are awesome and altho i'm running Ubuntu on a pc right now i'm probably getting another mini.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in trying Linux on Apple hardware, I can tell you that it runs really well; at least Ubuntu does. I have been making the switch from OSX to Ubuntu slowly over the past few years, but this year in earnest. My 2009 mini is dual boot (Ubuntu-El Capitan), and I just did the same on my 2012 iMac at work. I use reFit as the boot loader, so that I can choose which OS to boot in at start-up. Pretty much all of my Mac hardware and peripherals run in Ubuntu. The only hardware issues I have had so far are getting the numbers working on the number pad in the Apple Extended Keyboard, and getting a second monitor on the iMac recognized as the secondary (not primary) monitor. Also, the Apple Magic Mouse is a bit of a problem because it will only twin with one OS at a time, so if you use it in Ubuntu, it has to be repaired in Mac OSX and vice-versa each time you switch.

The only other issue when you first install Ubuntu is wifi because the Broadcom wifi driver is propriety and has to be installed from an online repository. It can either be installed from an ethernet connection or by downloading it from another computer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: