123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would this install be possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
イルv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Would this install be possible? Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post on here. Sorry if it's in the wrong part of the forum.
I have a 2012 Mac mini that I want to install an SSD to in the near future. I don't want a fusion drive but, if it's the only option for me I can live with it. I don't have a fast internet connection, to give you an idea a 2GB SD movie from iTunes will download anywhere from 4 hours (fastest) to 8 hours (slowest) depending on the satellite connection.
What I want to know is if I can download the OSX 10.8.x installer with my early 2008 MBP and use it to install onto the SSD for the MM. Is this a doable option in upgrading my MM hard drive configuration?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes actually you can and there are disk maker app's that can help you do this download the installer after the installer has launched close it and go into your applications and look for the install mac os x app and back it up to a external device.

the application that will help you make a disk is called

DiskMaker X

you can find it here:

http://diskmakerx.com
MJL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that when you run Yosemite then with a third party SSD the trim is not enabled and that you can no longer enable it. (OS X checks if there has been a change in the software).

You may want to check ePray if you can find a new pulled genuine SSD from a MacBook Pro, they turn up every now and then.

I believe that there are slight differences in the OS X depending on which computer you have - at least I had problems.

Also do not upgrade the firmware in the 2012 Mac mini if you have no issues - after I upgraded mine I have problems with the mini-display port driving high resolution when booting - HDMI is fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: