123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life after Mac/Snow Leopard!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I'm going to look into that setup some more. I would like to have a dedicated Windows 10 system for tinkering and beyond HTPC/Plex. Something that isn't super expensive, but has decent power. More than some of these newer Mini PCs from HP and Dell with Celeron and Pentium processors. I was also looking into the Intel NUC boxes before seeing your post, which are similar to your setup.
iSh0w

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Cool! I'm going to look into that setup some more. I would like to have a dedicated Windows 10 system for tinkering and beyond HTPC/Plex. Something that isn't super expensive, but has decent power. More than some of these newer Mini PCs from HP and Dell with Celeron and Pentium processors. I was also looking into the Intel NUC boxes before seeing your post, which are similar to your setup.

Yeah, NUC's are pretty powerful baby's as well. The NUC that appealed the most had raving reviews and was great but only had USB 2.0 and the processor power/core was less than the brix that was finally bought.

The NUC that was in the same power/core/price range as the brix had only 2 USB 3.0 ports. The others had a silver band in the middle, just wanted black. The Gigabyte has very few reviews, just felt right though, had good ventilation on the sides, the NUC didn't.

No matter how advanced technology gets with SSD's and fanless setups, these small bundles of joy do get hot and need proper ventilation IMHO

FWIW NUC's are good too, just check for heat issues and one model is believed to have a bug in the CPU.

Do share if/when you eventually venture off the greener pastures of a Mac (;

/iSh0w
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: