123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life after Mac/Snow Leopard!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iSh0w

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Life after Mac/Snow Leopard! Reply with quote

Hey All,

Hmm, don't know where to start so will try to share my thoughts sequentially.

Own a Mac Mini Mid 2007 for a while now, its been great in the sense that the principle that if it isn't broke don't fix it is followed. Use it as a HTPC.

Use Plex as a media server on the HTPC(Mac Mini) and hated the workaround(PlexConnect) required to use Plex with AppleTV.

On stumbling upon Chromecast, was blown away by the price, performance and ease of use with Plex and in general, loved the concept of using the iPhone as a remote.

Ended up replacing all the apple tv's in the house with Chromecasts Very Happy
Went further and replaced the iPhone with a Moto e 2nd Gen 2015 that runs lollipop. Super cheap, secure and does what is required of a smartphone including Plex.

Now contemplating(and probably going to) replacing the MacBook Air with a Chromebook after serious consideration of usage, which is browsing, email, chat and maybe a few light games. All handbrake transcoding and heavy duty stuff is done on the Mac Mini (Which is here to stay).

The headless Mac Mini mid 2007 has been upgraded to a T7600 2.33ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM and will soon replace the HDD with a 41GB SSD.
The programs mainly used on the Mac Mini are Teamviewer, HandbrakeCLI, Subler, Plex, Transmission, ShowRSS/Catch. External storage is attached via FireWire 400.

Now that a Chromebook is in the mix would ideally like to use “chrome remote desktop” feature to login and continue to use the Mac Mini to do all the heavy lifting. It was surprising to find that signing into Chrome on the Snow Leopard wouldn’t work on Chromium either. It just shows a blank page on clicking sign in.

After googling a bit found this write up where it was mentioned “**UPDATE Dec 30 2014*** Google Chrome has dropped support for 32-bit processors, effectively ending Snow Leopard support. Firefox and Opera are now your options.“

Bummer, initial thoughts were maybe it’s time to update to Lion, which the Mac Mini can do without much pain, having tried Lion in the past resulted in a quick revert to Snow Leopard.
Thoughts trailed even moving to Lion that is being supported right now, for how long will it be supported, will it be a nail biting experience wondering when support will end!

Now considering installing an alternative OS for the Mac Mini. A new Mac Mini is not an option worth exploring at the moment. Ideally would not want to use anything but Snow Leopard on the Mac Mini but since that is not a possibility thinking of Ubuntu, due to security issues not considering Windows at the moment. It would also be refreshing to use an alternate file system besides HFS+ which once a year gives me errors I cannot fix with OS Disk or DiskWarrior and needs me to backup and reinstall or do a time machine or Carbon copy cloner periodically *sigh*

Would appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and especially on what alternate OS works/worked best for an HTPC and if there is a good working tutorial of how. If Ubuntu, what LTS is the best.

/iSh0w

Last edited by iSh0w on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mac mini as a Plex server and three Chromecasts. The Chrome browser and an Android phone are used for control and/or casting streams. All in all, it's a nice combo. I have also given some thought to adding a Stream Mini from HP into the mix. Perhaps taking over as the server when Windows 10 comes out.
iSh0w

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
I use a Mac mini as a Plex server and three Chromecasts. The Chrome browser and an Android phone are used for control and/or casting streams. All in all, it's a nice combo. I have also given some thought to adding a Stream Mini from HP into the mix. Perhaps taking over as the server when Windows 10 comes out.

Thank you for replying. I didn't know about Stream Mini from HP. Although, I'd prefer staying with the Mac Mini rather than investing more than I already have (Just bought a mobius 5 bay and a Seagate 4TB[In addition to one I have right now]). Though it is a option to keep in mind for sure Smile

What would you do with your Mac Mini, is there an alternate secure OS you would consider installing on the Mac Mini

/iSh0w
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu will keep you going if you're worried about support ending for Snow Leopard. You can continue on with Plex and there is pretty decent support and documentation out there. You might also consider running it and Windows as VMs with Fusion or Parallels. It allows you to keep Front Row around as well.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would skip 10.7 and go with 10.8.

The T7600 is a 64 bit processor, so something else must be the problem and it's just using the 32 bit reason as a scapegoat.

As for the Chrome/Chromium issue, I can't say.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5

Make sure it has pins!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple won't even let you boot into the 64bit kernel with those Mac minis though, right?
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say. Mine is still running 10.5.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
iSh0w

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I would skip 10.7 and go with 10.8.

The T7600 is a 64 bit processor, so something else must be the problem and it's just using the 32 bit reason as a scapegoat.

As for the Chrome/Chromium issue, I can't say.

SC

Thank you for your reply. I am still looking for a good tutoral on getting 10.8 on to the Mac Mini Mid 2007 as I don't think it is supported without a workaround. In the mean time have put up the trusty ol Mini for sale at local onkine networks.

If it sells, great! May move to HP Stream.If it doesn't will try to move the Mini to 10.8 or Ubuntu. Will miss Subler so probably might try 10.8 if it is indeed a possibility.

Thanks again.

/iSh0w
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSh0w wrote:
If it sells, great! May move to HP Stream.

If you do, get it from the Microsoft Store for $179. It comes with Windows Signature Edition and no bloat. They do sell out pretty fast though. I've been waiting for about three weeks for them to come back in stock.
iSh0w

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
iSh0w wrote:

If you do, get it from the Microsoft Store for $179. It comes with Windows Signature Edition and no bloat. They do sell out pretty fast though. I've been waiting for about three weeks for them to come back in stock.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the heads up, was looking in the wrong place on amazon. Guess it would be wise to just get from the MS Store when its available...

Hope to sell off the current Mac Mini mid 2007 in patallel, otherwise just gonna feel like the movie dumb and dumber to Wink

/iSh0w
iSh0w

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, writing this post to help any other frustrated soul that may google stumble onthis thread looking for a similar solution.

Since there was eagerness to stay with Snow Leopard traded off with a bit of security, maybe.

Downloaded the last working version(limited knowledge) of google chrome for Snow leopard 33.0.1750.xxx from here and then went o. to block Chrom from auto updating using instructions from here.

Managed to sign in and sync, also got chrome remote desktop to work, which by the way works really well, it does not use RDP tech. like team viewer does. Super smooth!

Needless to say there is a security concern since the latest and greatest chrome is not being used, that was the trade off.

/iSh0w
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love uptodown! It's great with Android apps!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
iSh0w

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
iSh0w wrote:

After some R&D decided to go with the Gigabyte Brix i5, it is a lil overkill for a HTPC but will keep this for a while and it can easily be used with either Ubuntu or Win, spent a while pondering over Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix and finally made the choice.

The HP Stream seemed too good to be true, have a closer look, check out the CPU benchmarks and passmark scores to compare.

Just though of sharing.

Smithcraft wrote:
I love uptodown! It's great with Android apps!

SC

Thanks will check it out!

/iSh0w
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iSh0w wrote:
After some R&D decided to go with the Gigabyte Brix i5, it is a lil overkill for a HTPC but will keep this for a while and it can easily be used with either Ubuntu or Win, spent a while pondering over Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix and finally made the choice.

That look like an interesting box for the money. What kind of mSATA did you go with?
iSh0w

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
iSh0w wrote:

That look like an interesting box for the money. What kind of mSATA did you go with?

Ended up going with MyDigitalSSD 32GB (30GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G - MDMS-BP4-030 purely based on the reviews, however seeing the amount of space Win8/7 takes and Plex files wished to have gone with either the 64GB or 128GB.

Just FYI this box works headless if you disconnect it while it was last being used with your TV. Wrote to the gigabyte guys and they said the box is not meant to be used headless and needs a monitor attached, so ordered one of these, still waiting for it to come (:

As far as ram goes, went with one 8GB stick of Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory CT102464BF160B which leaves the option of picking another one up later if need be.

Thinking about the brix... if it were to be described in a word ... "sexy" comes to mind!

/iSh0w
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: