123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils All-New MacBook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils All-New MacBook Reply with quote

Apple Unveils All-New MacBook
Monday, March 9, 2015
Posted by: Staff

Apple today unveiled the all-new MacBook, a new line of notebooks reinvented in every way to deliver the thinnest and lightest Macs ever. According to the company, every component of the new MacBook has been meticulously redesigned to create a Mac that weighs just two pounds and is 13.1 mm thin. It also features a stunning 12-inch Retina display that is the thinnest ever on a Mac, an Apple-designed full-size keyboard which is dramatically thinner and highly responsive, the all-new Force Touch trackpad that brings a new dimension of interactivity to the Mac, an incredibly compact USB-C port for data transfer, video out and charging in a single connector, and a new battery design that maximizes every millimeter of space to deliver all-day battery life. And, for the first time, MacBook is available in three aluminum finishes - gold, silver and space gray.

"Apple has reinvented the notebook with the new MacBook, and at just two pounds and 13.1 mm, it's the thinnest and lightest Mac ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Every component of the MacBook reveals a new innovation. From its fanless design, ultra-thin Retina display and full-size keyboard that’s 34 percent thinner, to its all-new Force Touch trackpad, versatile USB-C port and breakthrough terraced battery design, the new MacBook is the future of the notebook."

Measuring just 13.1 mm at its thickest point, the new MacBook design is an amazing 24 percent thinner than the 11-inch MacBook Air. With a new precision-milled unibody enclosure featuring integrated Wi-Fi antennas and a top case with polished stainless steel Apple logo, MacBook is available in three elegant finishes—gold, silver and space gray—and is the first MacBook with an all-metal enclosure.

A comfortable keyboard is essential to the Mac experience and the new MacBook is designed around an all-new full-size keyboard. To fit the full-size keyboard into the amazingly thin MacBook meant completely re-engineering how a notebook keyboard works. The new keyboard is 34 percent thinner and uses an Apple-designed butterfly mechanism that is an amazing 40 percent thinner than a traditional keyboard scissor mechanism yet four times more stable, providing greater precision no matter where your finger strikes the key. New stainless steel dome switches located beneath each key deliver a crisp and responsive feel when typing, and every key on the new keyboard is individually backlit with its own single LED to deliver precisely calibrated, uniform brightness behind each keycap.

The perfect match to a full-size keyboard is a 12-inch display, and the new MacBook features a stunning 12-inch Retina display with a 16:10 aspect ratio. Measuring just 0.88 mm thin, the Retina display on the new MacBook is the thinnest display ever on a Mac. With a larger aperture for each pixel, the new Retina display is also extremely efficient and uses 30 percent less energy than existing Mac notebook Retina displays, while delivering the same level of brightness. And with a resolution of 2304 x 1440, text, photos and movies come to life with astounding clarity.

MacBook also features the all-new Force Touch trackpad that brings a new dimension of interactivity to the Mac. The new trackpad features built-in force sensors that allow you to click anywhere and haptic feedback that provides a responsive and uniform feel. You can even customize the feel of the trackpad by changing the amount of pressure needed to register each click. The Force Touch trackpad also enables a new gesture called Force Click, a click followed by a deeper press, for tasks like pulling up the definition of a word, quickly seeing a map or glancing at a preview of a file.

Applying miniaturization techniques used in iPhone and iPad, MacBook features the most compact logic board ever in a Mac, measuring an amazing 67 percent smaller than the logic board of the 11-inch MacBook Air. With no moving parts or vents, the new MacBook was designed from the ground up to be the first fanless Mac notebook for silent, efficient performance. MacBook features the new fifth-generation Intel Core M processor that runs at just 5 watts and Intel HD Graphics 5300. The highly efficient processors work in conjunction with optimizations throughout OS X to make the new MacBook the world’s most energy efficient notebook.

The new MacBook features a breakthrough terraced battery design that is layered in individual sheets that are precisely contoured to fit the MacBook’s sleek, curved enclosure. As a result, the new MacBook has 35 percent more battery capacity than would be possible with traditional battery cells and delivers all-day battery life with up to 9 hours of wireless web browsing and up to 10 hours of iTunes movie playback.

Designed for the wireless world, MacBook is perfect for tasks like streaming content from your MacBook to your HDTV using AirPlay, exchanging files quickly using AirDrop, or using wireless headphones. MacBook is equipped with the latest wireless technologies, including built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 for fast wireless connectivity.

The new MacBook also features a next-generation USB-C port that is incredibly small, yet extremely versatile and even more user friendly. A new industry standard, USB-C supports higher wattage charging, USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps) data transfer and DisplayPort 1.2 all in a single connector that's one-third the size of a traditional USB port.

The all-new MacBook will begin shipping Friday, April 10 through the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. MacBook comes with a 1.1 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.4 GHz, 8GB of memory, 256GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1,299; and with a 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.6GHz, 8GB of memory, 512GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1,599.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2147.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool machine, but I don't know why anyone would go with this over the MacBook Pro.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
Cool machine, but I don't know why anyone would go with this over the MacBook Pro.

Goldmember or Goldfinger might. Wink

My biggest complaint about the new MacBook would be with the 480p FT camera. That's a huge step backwards in my opinion. Needing a $79 dongle for other connections isn't a huge draw either.
iLife's a Bitch!
PipZippy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wish they had just updated the MacBook Air with a retina screen and kept everything else the same.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the 12" iPad Pro everyone was talking about. Cause I have no idea how these products would coexist in the Apple line together. Unless the iPad has an active digitizer or something.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PipZippy wrote:
Honestly, I wish they had just updated the MacBook Air with a retina screen and kept everything else the same.

+1

I would rather have the ports and HDMI than be reliant on adapters. Which now apparently cost more than the Apple TV to make. Wink
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always interesting to see what Apple comes up with next. Looks like a beautiful, well designed laptop. But in my case, the 2013 13" MBA had, and still has, exactly what I wanted in a portable: lightweight, good keyboard and trackpad, and great battery life. I won't be trading up soon. The new MBA would actually be a downgrade in some ways, with less battery life, fewer ports and a smaller screen. Retina is nice, but I don't need it. Two lb. is nice, but 2.9 is light enough.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in messing around with the new touchpad. Some people in the press said it plays with your brain. The feedback is kind of weird and takes time getting use to. I just hope they didn't ruin them. The current trackpads are awesome in my book. They have the right responce and feel. Better than anything out there in Windows land.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the design, but wish it had a port on either side like the new Chromebook Pixel.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's See Here.

To expensive 1300 for a pentium m dual core laptop expensive very.

Also the pentium m processors have very limited cache in them so loading time and basic applications are going to slow down on performance

No fan = bad idea pentium m processors even laptop model processors get really hot

expensive accessories.

And in all do honesty why do i want a dual core machine while the current macbook air is a I7 and is cheaper and even the i5 is cheaper then that.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Love the design, but wish it had a port on either side like the new Chromebook Pixel.

That's an awesome feature too because you can charge it on either side. Especially seeing that I have slept on the right side of our bed forever. Smile
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turn it around, Devo Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: