123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New APPLE laptop computer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:
Optimism is a great personal quality, I should try to be a little more optimitic at times.

Hmmm...I don't know. Maybe a healthy dose of skepticism is appropriate when making multi-hundred dollar purchases.

Razz

Jamie
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStreet wrote:
I'm giving serious looks at the MacBook Pro -- I want it now!

I'm with you. I have decided that I WILL be purchasing this notebook. I'm planning on putting my order in the first week of February. I figure since they aren't shipping till mid-Feb anyway, might as well give it a few weeks in case Apple decides to roll out any additional MacBook Pros (or even iBook-replacement MacBooks).

I love my 12" iBook. But how can you NOT drool over the dual-core beauty that is the new MacBook Pro?? Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit on the fence. Not, necessarily, because I fear potential "Rev A" issues...it's simply because this will be a WANT purchase and not a NEED purchase. I've got a 3 month old 12" iBook that can easily last me for the forseeable future...but I REALLY WANT a dual-core Intel MacBook!

I have the money...And I will be doing one of two things:

1) Ordering a MacBook Pro the first week of February.

2) Putting approx. $2500 into a 7 month CD and purchasing a new Intel-based Mac notebook in September.

Option 1 satisfies my instant-gratification needs...however, I am assuming that with Option 2 I will be able to select from at least a few different Intel-based notebook options.

I THINK the smart move for me is Option 2, but we'll see if I can actually wait that long!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I'm a bit on the fence.

I'm sitting right next to you on that fence. I've decided to wait until they start shipping. I would like to read some real world reviews and see one in person. This also gives me more time to save money. I might be able to go with the 1.83GHz model in another month or two.
iLife's a Bitch!
TheBattler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:

2) Putting approx. $2500 into a 7 month CD and purchasing a new Intel-based Mac notebook in September.

If you get the education discount on the apple store online, they don't ask you for any credentials when it comes to the discount. This will save you the $200 you were bound to make when you invested in the CD. This not only satisfies your instant want but also allows you to sell your 12'' iBook easier since the future of that model is destined to change radically for the better.

1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBattler wrote:
If you get the education discount on the apple store online, they don't ask you for any credentials when it comes to the discount. This will save you the $200 you were bound to make when you invested in the CD. This not only satisfies your instant want but also allows you to sell your 12'' iBook easier since the future of that model is destined to change radically for the better.

I don't really care about the money I'd make on the CD. The point is simply to "lock" that money away for 7 months so I am committed to waiting till then to purchase.

If there are different sizes available by then, that alone will be worth it (as I really like my 12" iBook and would love a similiar footprint with a dual-core Intel). Or maybe I just keey this iBook, use it for ultra-portability and get a pimpin' 17" if/when they are available? choices, choices....that's the one thing we DON'T have now that waiting will eventually bring (choices, that is). Smile
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the new MacBook Pro is a better deal.
If you configure them to almost the same specs, you can see you can get more for the price.

1.67GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 7200 rpm
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 - 128MB GDDR3
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
15.4-inch TFT Display
$2,299.00

1.67GHz PowerPC G4
1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive DL (DVD+RW/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
15.2-inch TFT Display
$2,299.00

They are the same price, but you get more on the Intel one.
Dual core processors, faster front side bus, faster memory, faster hard drive through serial ATA, newer GPU with faster ram, a slightly bigger screen, built-in iSight and built-in front row with the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: