123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroNet Unveils miniMate USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: MicroNet Unveils miniMate USB Reply with quote

MicroNet Unveils miniMate USB
Monday January 30, 2006

MicroNet Technology has announced the availability of the miniMate 300GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive with built-in hub. This new addition to the miniMate line was designed to complement and extend the capabilities of the Mac mini by adding 300GB of storage and three USB 2.0 expansion ports.

According to the company, "The Micronet miniMate-USB solves your problems with one product that not only increases your storage capacity, but also adds 3 powered USB 2.0 ports to your computer. You no longer need to reach under your desk or to the back of your computer, simply connect your camera or charge your MP3 player directly through miniMate-USB. With a generous 300GB capacity and 8MB Cache, miniMate-USB is ideal for storing all your Photos, Videos, DVDs, MP3s, and Documents." The Micronet miniMate 300GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive is available now, and has a suggested retail price of $199.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/427.html
jthawke

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No Firewire Reply with quote

Another nice product, but without firewire, no booting from the drive. Until Apple gives us a mini with decent drive speeds, external drives need to be bootable, IMHO. I finally broke down and cloned my mini to an external LaCie porsche drive and now I boot from it. I've noticed a decent little speed increase that I don't want to give back. I just hope the LaCie holds up for awhile.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No Firewire Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
Another nice product, but without firewire, no booting from the drive. Until Apple gives us a mini with decent drive speeds, external drives need to be bootable, IMHO. I finally broke down and cloned my mini to an external LaCie porsche drive and now I boot from it. I've noticed a decent little speed increase that I don't want to give back. I just hope the LaCie holds up for awhile.

I agree. Xbench scores clearly show that Firewire is more than twice as fast as USB 2.0 with the Mini. Unless users only want to use this as a backup drive, I would hesitate to buy a non-firewire external enclosure...
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No Firewire Reply with quote

jthawke wrote:
I just hope the LaCie holds up for awhile

You should be ok if the LaCie porsche is made anything like the LaCie mini. My LaCie mini is built like a Sherman tank.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: No Firewire Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:

You should be ok if the LaCie porsche is made anything like the LaCie mini. My LaCie mini is built like a Sherman tank.

I expierenced problems with its Firewire connections. it seems the original LaCie cables are somewhat thinner than regular (black) FW 6 cables. I had several issues of the LaCie not being recognised on MacMini and PC! I still can't see my Firewire DVD player which is hooked up on the LaCie! problem is, I did not buy this LaCie in a official store, so no warranty and I replaced the standard 80 GB drive for a 160 drive (same brand=Hitachi Deskstar 7K250). I don't know if my somewhat thicker FW connectors screwed something up, but also these cables don't work either, to follow through. I used to have a run-of-the-mill external FW/USB case which never gave such problems! One big minus with these drives is the powerconnection, it to easily comes off! There are drives out there which use a different connection, more like a tube going in the connection, instead of little pins in a kind of DIN connector.
I'm waiting to buy the Difusi Bay mini, so I can connect my both FW and all my USB devies to, hopefully they have better inside FW connectors...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: