123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iFixit Teardowns 2014 Mac mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: iFixit Teardowns 2014 Mac mini Reply with quote

iFixit Teardowns 2014 Mac mini
Monday, October 20, 2014 T
Posted by: Staff

We're happy to report that iFixit has posted a teardown of the new entry-level 2014 Mac mini. Here are some of the highlights they just reported to us from the teardown:

- The RAM now joins the CPU in being soldered onto the logic board. Thankfully, the storage drives are still upgradable.

- Gone are the handy thumb indents and indicators that made for a twist-off bottom cover.

- We were greeted with something new when the bottom cover is removed: a solid door held in place by T6 Torx Security screws, where there was once easy access to the RAM and fan. Our packrat engineers produced a lone prototype T6 Torx Security screwdriver, a tool we originally abandoned because nobody had seen such a screw used in real life.

- While past Mac Minis have featured two SATA ports, allowing users to upgrade their base model with an extra hard drive, this year we only get one. However, this empty socket may well be a spot for a PCIe cable, enabling the installation of a blade SSD. More on this once we get our hands on a Fusion-equipped Mac Mini.

- The AirPort card is now a proper PCIe card, and is dispatched after removing one screw and disconnecting the three antennas from their sockets.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2136.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in hearing more about that spot for a PCIe cable.
Pete67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like there are a lot of haters, but I can't wait to get mine. I never thought anything was wrong with the 2012 models. I just wanted support for a Samsung 4K display that a bought a couple months back. And that support was lacking with the previous model.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

score 5 out of 10 for business users.

Am taking delivery of a new 2012 2.6 Ghz i7 today and will void warrantee with a 512 GB SSD and 16 GB ram at the weekend.

Good that Apple bothered to update the mini but boy how they have hacked off their serious users.

Yes the Mac Pro is why too expensive for what it does.

Let's hope that the next Broadwell issue will be quad core and expandable.
Aleson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:

Let's hope that the next Broadwell issue will be quad core and expandable.

I don't care if they update the body style next time around. I like it as it stands.

I just wonder what in this Mac mini is good to go for Broadwell. Could they use a quad-core Broadwell chip in this socket? If not, that means they need a new motherboard. Without any type of dedication from Apple towards the Mac mini one has to wonder if that will come again?

I hate that Apple poops on this form factor and machine. It's sad. Especially seeing that most of us don't want to go the iMac route. I guess they think everyone has Mac Pro money just sitting around underneath a mattress. The upgrade path is just that clear for us all. Rolling Eyes
lumberjack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they look at the sales figures for the 2014 models will look for a trend.

Sure the cheap model will sell for children' s use, where price is everything.

Can't see many of the expensive Haswells selling well because they are very poor value compared with the 2012 quad cores and fail to offer user expand ability.

Apple may read wrongly into the figures. instead, they should read the 123 Mac mini and Macrumour forums where the serious users have made it perfectly clear what is wanted.

Let's make it clear....

Quad cores,

Four cores,

Quadruple cores or more

Iris Pro or better

non soldered ram

User changeable drive
KJS82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on that PCIe connector as of yet?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjack wrote:
fail to offer user expand ability.

Hmm, I am guessing you haven't seen any of ther tear downs at this point, including the one in this thread. The only thing that appears to have changed in regards to expandibility is the soldered RAM. Other than that there does not appear to be any change with expandiblity. You can still have 2 drives if you want, all that the public needs, similar to previous models is the ribbon from bus to drive.

Apple will likely read correctly into whatever figures they gather, particularly since the other forum is a very small cross section of Mac purchasers and this one isn't even on the radar any longer, sadly.
lumberjack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ez061111 I did read the teardown.

Security screws ?

The point is that Apple is going to make harder to get inside. Soldered ram one day, what next ?

Regarding the forum, how are Apple going to listen the serious users?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iFixit has already begun to market a screwdriver for it, so the point is null. There is nothing other than a suction cup apparently that would keep somebody from opening it up. Reminds me of the Mac Plus I had in the mid 80's that needed some specialized tools when a guy named Jobs was still in-charge. Apple has always gone through several protectionist waves and this is just a new round.

As far as tomorrow, who knows. As far as communicating with Apple, this forum and the other forums including Apples might be monitored but I doubt it. Why not use the power of a consumer an not purchase, or go to the source:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/
lumberjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the constructive / negative feedback thing ( failed Apple purchase story ).

Won't do the 2014 model purchase thing.

But took delivery of a 2012 quad core yesterday from a third party, so that the ram and hard drive could be easily replaced, when needed and not with any restrictions from Apple. Sure there is the voiding of any warrantee ( hard drive replacement ), but needs must.

Wait and see in a year' s time whether there is a worsening of the 'sealed box' design. It is expected that the smaller CPUs and flash storage modules will come as a factory configured entity. Let's hope not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: