123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2014 New Mac Mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: 2014 New Mac Mini Reply with quote

Just checked with Apple regarding the new Mac Mini announced today. The user can no longer upgrade their own RAM or internal hard drive. You order what you want from Apple and that's it...
macfandave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised there is no 2TB HDD option, that would have been nice
papercut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that the mini is still alive and well in Apple's product line, and that they made some very positive comments about it during the announcement, but I find this new model a bit disappointing. I understand that the graphics are greatly improved and the TB ports updated, but I guess I was hoping for more. The price cut on the low-end model is nice and good for switchers who want to get away from Windows.

Making it non-user-upgradeable, however, seems to be a major step in the wrong direction. I'm happy that I bought my 2012 i7 model a few months ago instead of waiting for this release. I boosted the RAM to 16GB and am seriously considering a swap of the HD for SSD sometime in the near future.

The new Macs remind me the original Macintosh computers from the mid-80s when they were considered to be "appliances for the masses" instead of toys exclusively for the geeks (me included). Closed boxes and non-upgradeable... though I did have one of those 18" torx screwdrivers just in case (you have to be pretty old to get that reference).

Anyway, just some thoughts while I'm waiting for Yosemite to download on my 2009 Macbook.
macfandave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I don't understand why there is not a quad core CPU being used, dual core seems quite dated to me

So there is no removable plate on the 2014 version ? I think I will get one though, this will be my 5th mac mini !
sleepyhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal HD should be swappable for a 3rd-party SSD, it's the SATA (III) standard after all, just make sure to pick a model with the right adapter. You may not get the speed that Apple's SSD is capable of (I've read that Apple-installed SSD uses the PCIe interface), but the speed difference shouldn't be noticeable for most users, and you save quite a bit of money going that route.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2014 New Mac Mini Reply with quote

RussW wrote:
Just checked with Apple regarding the new Mac Mini announced today. The user can no longer upgrade their own RAM or internal hard drive. You order what you want from Apple and that's it...
That is Apple always not giving the consumer a break.Not fair at all.
macfandave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the HDD is still only 5400 rpm, could easily be 7200 rpm
twitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleepyhead wrote:
The internal HD should be swappable for a 3rd-party SSD, it's the SATA (III) standard after all, just make sure to pick a model with the right adapter. You may not get the speed that Apple's SSD is capable of (I've read that Apple-installed SSD uses the PCIe interface), but the speed difference shouldn't be noticeable for most users, and you save quite a bit of money going that route.

PCIe based flash is not the same as the sata based ssd. The sata bay is similar to what we had on prior mac minis. The PCIe is a different connector and location (it looks like a stick of ram, except bigger). I imagine you can have both. I ordered a 2014 with pciE and will open it up and plop in an ssd I had lying around when I get it.
Mac Mini (mid '09) 2 ghz, 4gb ddr3, intel SSD 80gb g2, bose qc2 headphones, 24" Dell LCD 3008wfp + 2408wfp, apple wireless keybd, logitech g7 mouse, hp 2600n color laser printer; lenovo x61 tablet; Blu-ray HTPC/gaming rig win 7
macfandave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much RAM does the HD 5000 have, 1GB I think ? Has anyone ordered the top spec one with the hard drive option only ?

I don't understand why the CPU is not quad core btw, some technical reason for this ?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
I don't understand why the CPU is not quad core btw, some technical reason for this ?

Likely came down to profits. Small chance they decided to put something cooler in there, but I think it came down to margins.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because as you shrink down a processor you create more heat more cores more heat think about melting the solder off of the processor.
MJL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "other" forum I was rather tongue-in-cheek about the heat development of the quad cores and got up a moderators nose with the predictable end-result.

The way I interpret the release is that Apple has discontinued a quad core due to heat produced and has upgraded the duo-core. Graphics and data bus speed has improved. To me it is a sensible move forward because when the temperature gets as high as it did then the CPU gets throttled down.

The two thunderbolt 2 ports are a bonus, I can now use two high resolution screens.

I'm waiting to discover what aftermarket SSD can go in it, what the real world performance is and how non-Apple monitors are performing and if Windows will run properly. Then in 6 months time I'll give a thought towards replacing my existing two Mac mini's (2011 and 2012 base models) and if I'll stay with Apple or not. Likely I'll not crack it open but use an 256 Gb USB3 SSD as OS X boot and data backup disk.
macfandave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a very good youtube video which has made it clear just how inferior the 2014 mac mini is. So now I wish I could buy the highest spec 2012 version brand new but this seems impossible or is it ?

So totally stupid of apple to down grade to a dual core cpu imo
MJL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some links to French websites on the other forum that benchmarked the new Mac mini's. Performance is very acceptable - the quad core was never intended to be run flat out for extended periods (making it a cheap alternative to the Mac Pro). Too much heat for the case requiring the fan to run flat out making it sound like a hair drier. No thanks, not acceptable in my book.

I remember the days that we had to "re-seat" the memory because oxidation caused it to work unreliable. With the lower voltages in use the contact potential (when it is pluggable) becomes an issue as well as reliability especially for the high memory speeds. I also see people lamenting the loss of two SATA drives. It will not be long before SSD are similarly priced to mechanical drives and then the mechanical drives will disappear from the consumer market together with the SATA connection.

I also noticed that in the 2014 the connectors to the drives have a clamp over them - temperature variations could make the connectors work loose if not clamped down. (especially if the computer has had the drives disconnected more than a few times). And how often have we read about someone damaging their logic board by ripping a connector socket off? I've had to deal with the damage done by staff "upgrading" computers, no anti static procedures being followed and doing a lot of static damage in the process. (It was proven statistically, reliability went out the window.)

I've put up one of my existing Mac mini's and will be replacing it with the 2.8 Ghz model. In my view Apple has introduced a new base model and the previous base model has become the 2.6 Ghz model. The new 1.4 Ghz base model with its 15 W TDP can not sustain a continious load and the benchmarks are misleading. It is best suited to web browsing or as media centre, the 2.6 Ghz or the 2.8 Ghz model are far better value and destined to be under-rated. They'll be humming along long after the 2012 quad models have died. These machines are for me the ultimate compact Windows machines (Windows required for business purposes, in weekends use OS X) nothing else comes as close to as compact, as silent with similar grunt. I have travelled often with them and prefer them far above a laptop (have had about 20, lost count in the end) - with a laptop always something breaking besides the higher weight (needs to be carried as hand luggage).

The current release has the potential to be the end of the line, especially if they sell badly: Apple will not put money into developping a computer that is a loss making venture. The other potential is that the Intel chip will be dropped in favour of the A8X like chips which will create an even worse scenario.

The younger generation is unlikely to be using a desktop - they are into mobile stuff and that is the direction Apple has gone into.

I really do not understand the hate that the current release is receiving, to me it shows that many no longer understand hardware.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people on dedicated forums are not the basic users and want more from whatever they have, be it cars or computers.

Therefore those people in the forums will be greatly disappointed by the new minis.

I wonder how i7 minis will do on eBay?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD / 120GB SSD 10.10 (Thanks Phil!)

4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: