123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Ending Development of Aperture and iPhoto

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Apple Ending Development of Aperture and iPhoto Reply with quote

Apple Ending Development of Aperture and iPhoto
Friday, June 27, 2014
Posted by: Staff

Not a giant surprise, but Apple today announced that it is ending the development of Aperture and iPhoto. The products will be replaced with the new Photos for OS X application, which is to be released next year. The company also announced that users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture and iPhoto libraries to Photos for OS X when it is released, as well as store all of their photos in the new iCloud Photo Library.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2111.html
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... I didn't use either. The one application I still miss from my Windows days is Thumbs+ I would love to see that made for the Mac.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightroom pulled away from Aperture over last year or so. Now, Adobe will probably drag their feet with it since the major competition is gone. It's really bad news for us because competition is good for the costumer. Just look at the cloud space and what is happening there.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
Thumbs+

I haven't heard that one mentioned in a long time.

Personally, I have been using Google+ photos across all platforms. The online editing is decent and the mobile support is excellent. I really like the mobile app for Android and the editing it offers. I'm hoping the new Photos app for iOS and OS X is just as good.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on Ars that the new app will support third-party plugins. That should help calm Aperture users down a bit. Even though I'm sure that most of them are flocking to Lightroom.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another reason why I don't get excited about anything Apple brings out anymore.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
This is another reason why I don't get excited about anything Apple brings out anymore.

SC

I do get more excited about software, but I hear you.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited about this news. I use iPhoto all the time and my customers absolutely love it. It is one of the most popular courses we offer in our Learning Centre. We teach people how to import, organize and edit photos. We also offer workshops where people can create projects with the guidance of an instructor. I've seen people make some amazing books, calendars etc.

The editing tools in iPhoto are already very cool (and under-utilized ie. smart saturation, shadows etc.). I can't wait to see what Photos will bring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: