123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Core 2 Duo (External HDD only) keeps shutting off on its own

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bolens

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Core 2 Duo (External HDD only) keeps shutting off on its own Reply with quote

Hello people, this is my first post to MM forum and, of course, a starting problem with my new core 2 duo mac mini (A1176).

I could not wait for the long expected new mini to come, and in the mean time I bought a transitional machine just for fun and getting into the game. I am migrating from Windows, means an absolute OS X beginner.

The configuration I got is a little bit specific: A mini with external HD (250 Gb) only. I do not know if there is any internal inside (I haven’t opened it yet) but for sure there is a problem with it. The system and everything is on external HDD.

This is auction whre I bought it: http://www.limundo.com/kupovina/Racunari-i-oprema/Apple/Mac-Mini-CoreDuo-Hdd-250gb-Extra-Ponuda-/25974177

The system worked flawlessly for half and hour and then started switching off. Unpredictably, by itself. And it repeats and repeats as soon as I press the switch button again. After it cools, it can work again for 20-30 minutes.

I bought it relatively cheap and would not like to separate from it... actually I am impressed with the machine and OS. So I asked you for a help. I already googled and found the issue and one of solutions (Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). But could someone help bearing in mind that it is a external HDD Mac mini system. Does it make the difference? Thanking in advance, Bolens
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple computers are built to shut themselves down when the temperature gets too high, this is to protect the internals.
From the sound of your problem this could be a dead cooling fan or an excess of dust plugging the insides.
The unit should be opened up and checked for fan operation and a proper clean out if needed.
Replacement fans can be found online such as this.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcore+2+duo+mac+mini+fan&_nkw=core+2+duo+mac+mini+fan&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Fan replacement information…
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1176+Fan+Replacement/1107

good luck with your new toy.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that iDea of opening it up and making sure it's not full of dust, and that the fan works.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...opening it up also answer the question that's bugging me: if you have no internal hard disc, what happened to the internal hard disc temperature sensor that is sticky-taped to... err... the internal hard disc?

It will cause a thermal shutdown of the mini (as you seem to be experiencing) when triggered?

BTW: I imagine your mini is very slow running the System from an external HD only, whether USB or FW, it will be noticeably slower than an internal SATA drive. Still, I imagine it only has an external drive for a reason, like the internal interface is dead?
Bolens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all very much. It helped. Very Happy I gained the courage to opened it and found there a battlefield! Amazingly not much dust! But, connectors where disconnected, screws holding DVD and audio board were missing... After several iterations of opening and closing all started to work: the fan, audio line out (didn’t I mentioned that it was not functioning as well). And actually, despite of that external disc only, it is not slow, or I am just too enthusiastic with my achievements. Anyhow I bought a Hitachi Traveler 2.5 Sata HD (500 Mb), and try to continue to „rectify“ the Mini. We’ll see.

But the problem remains, it soon rises the fan speed for no reason. I see it's a common problem. So I plan to do this software mod: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=468416

In one moment I wanted to be parted from it and gave up, but insensibly I got hooked on OSX. Very, very easy going concept (comparing to PC)... ok, once I get out of the hardware mess Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: