123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Mid-2010)A1347 - Freez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fta123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 (Mid-2010)A1347 - Freez Reply with quote

Good Morning All

I bought a Mac Mini from a guy in the Craigslist for 100.00 because he didn't know what was wrong with the mini which was freezing. I figure for 100.00 I can take the risk. So when I first turn on the Mini, I notice the fan was just spinning super fast making tons of noise. I proceed to open it up and look further into it. I notice the temperature sensors for the hard drive were not connected properly on the hard drive and I did so. Once I rebooted the mini was very quite and booted like it is supposed to. I was able to do updates, reboot without any issues and it work for about 20 to 30 minutes without any hiccups, but then it froze.

When the system freeze, It wont response to anything on the keyboard and it just displays whatever was on the screen until I shut it off manually. When I turn it back on, it will reboot normally but will freeze in a couple of minutes. My guess is that the CPU or something it is getting overheated...any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

I have tried going into the Console to look at the log files, but nothing seems to point toward the crash, would the system try to write the log files once it crash? and which log files which they might be under?

Any help would be appreciated.

One more thing, I thought about downloading and installing the temperature monitor software so see if the temperature keeps increasing as the minutes go by.

Thanks again
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be faulty ram!!!

let me explain if the wrong memory is installed in that model of mac mini the fan will run full blast now for the freezing issues it could be the hard drive is going out or there is not enough ram

how much ram and what o.s
fta123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

macmanmacman

Thanks so much for your reply...the Mac Mini is running 8GB RAM and the hard drive was running Mountain Lion, I said was, because I took it out to test the system booting from USB....doing further testing...

FYI: I also notice the thermal paste was all dried out( after disassemble), so I cleaned and re-apply - no more freezing, but other issues persist

1. I bought a new 1TB drive and placed it in an USB enclosure and reinstalled Mountain Lion into it, it took about 2 hours to finish because of USB speed, but it did completed....I notice the mac mini did not freeze this time around, but when I rebooted to finalized the installation, I didn't get a chime and no video. I had to do the drill ( which seems to work every time) to unplug everything, wait 30 seconds, hit the power button, while disconnected for another 30 and reconnect everything, Once I do all that and I hold the "ALT" key during boot up to select the drive, I get the chime and it will let me login without any issues

So...so far....I got a working "SLOW" solution that can boot, but then I notice that neither my Airport or Ethernet ports are no showing any longer( so no internet connectivity, not sure this has anything to do with booting from USB.

Any ideas or suggestions?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good at all!!!

Sounds like the board is damaged because even if you boot from usb you should have airport and network access mountain lion and even mavericks when booting from usb will have network access
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: