123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces OS X Yosemite
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Apple Announces OS X Yosemite Reply with quote

Apple Announces OS X Yosemite
Monday, June 2, 2014
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced OS X Yosemite, a powerful new version of OS X redesigned and refined with a fresh, modern look, powerful new apps and amazing new continuity features that make working across your Mac and iOS devices more fluid than ever. The new Today view in Notification Center gives you a quick look at everything you need to know, all in one place; iCloud Drive is located within the Finder and can store files of any type; and Safari has a new streamlined design that puts the most important controls at your fingertips. Mail makes editing and sending attachments easier than ever; Handoff lets you start an activity on one device and pass it to the other; and Instant Hotspot makes using your iPhone's hotspot as easy as connecting to a Wi-Fi network. Yosemite even gives you the ability to make iPhone calls on your Mac.

"Yosemite is the future of OS X with its incredible new design and amazing new apps, all engineered to work beautifully with iOS," said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. "We engineer our platforms, services and devices together, so we are able to create a seamless experience for our users across all our products that is unparalleled in the industry. It's something only Apple can deliver."

The developer preview of Yosemite is available to Mac Developer Program members starting today. To help make OS X even better, Apple is introducing the OS X Beta Program, which gives customers early access to Yosemite and invites them to try out the release and submit their feedback. Mac users can participate in the OS X Beta Program for Yosemite this summer and download the final version for free from the Mac App Store this fall. Customers interested in signing up can visit here for more details.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2107.html

Last edited by admin on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look great! I'm probably most excited about the calling features. Cool
iLife's a Bitch!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed as well. Did I miss something about iCloud Drive pricing though? Is is the same basic pricing and plans as iCloud?
FishKepr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: OS 10.7 Support Reply with quote

Will support for OS 10.7 be discontinued?
That has been the pattern seen in previous years.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OS 10.7 Support Reply with quote

FishKepr wrote:
Will support for OS 10.7 be discontinued?
That has been the pattern seen in previous years.

Probably. Why would you want to stay at this point?
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
FishKepr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OS 10.7 Support Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:

Probably. Why would you want to stay at this point?

Our Macs can't be upgraded past Lion. They still work just fine and it would be disappointing to have to replace them for that reason.

We especially love our daughter's iMac.. It's a great machine that has served us well.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the flatter look, more so than iOS, but the possible over usage of transparencies scares me. I never cared for Aero in Windows either.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
but the possible over usage of transparencies scares me

I hate transparencies and usually turn them off straight away so after hearing the word Transparent... about a thirty times in the first 20 minutes of the keynote I was starting to get very worried. I just hope we can turn it off Sad

On the whole though I thought iOS 8 and Yosemite looked a great combination

My main worry with the whole keynote was how little innovation appears to be going on at Apple. It seemed to me that most of the great features of iOS 8 and Yosemite were partly stolen ideas from other developers and OS's. The bit Apple can take credit for is just the bit of bundling them all together which is what make iOS 8 and Yosemite look good but other than that I don't really see where Apple were pushing things forward with any new brilliant ideas.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I'm impressed as well. Did I miss something about iCloud Drive pricing though? Is is the same basic pricing and plans as iCloud?

Free storage: 5GB
20GB: $0.99 per month (about 0.60, AU$1)
200GB: $3.99 per month (about 2.40, AU$4.30)
1TB: Price to be determined

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-icloud-drive-cost/

Cypher wrote:
My main worry with the whole keynote was how little innovation appears to be going on at Apple. It seemed to me that most of the great features of iOS 8 and Yosemite were partly stolen ideas from other developers and OS's. The bit Apple can take credit for is just the bit of bundling them all together which is what make iOS 8 and Yosemite look good but other than that I don't really see where Apple were pushing things forward with any new brilliant ideas.

Yeah, that kind of stuff goes back to Coverflow and beyond. I still think they are doing a good good of pulling it all together though. I just hate to see small developers get rolled over, but what are you going to do.

Plus, I think that hardware innovation is soft of dead in the water. How much can you do with a 13" laptop or a phone with a 5" screen? It's gotta be all about software going forward. And stuff like Handoff and Continuity features bringing mobile and the desktop together.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yosemite looks like a nice upgrade! I can't wait to get in installed in the fall.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see them still supporting lion a little with itunes and with flash player but nothing more what makes me angry with this is this o.s is suppose to eliminate the 2011 mac mini slim the model with the cd drive because a lot of people have only seen it on i5 and i7 machines no core 2 duo macs so this makes me a little mad because by getting rid of your customers more will just use there mac for linux and leave mac os x completly
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
i see them still supporting lion a little with itunes and with flash player but nothing more what makes me angry with this is this o.s is suppose to eliminate the 2011 mac mini slim the model with the cd drive because a lot of people have only seen it on i5 and i7 machines no core 2 duo macs so this makes me a little mad because by getting rid of your customers more will just use there mac for linux and leave mac os x completly

I'm not sure what you are referring to. The system requirements for Yosemite are the same as Mountain Lion and Mavericks. The model you are referring to is a Mid 2010. The 2009 minis are still supported.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beta seems pretty solid, but I can't wait for the final release. I'm also excited about the new photo app coming in the fall as well.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
The beta seems pretty solid, but I can't wait for the final release. I'm also excited about the new photo app coming in the fall as well.

I was just watching the Keynote. It said early next year for iPhoto.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I was just watching the Keynote. It said early next year for iPhoto.

Oh man, I thought it was coming out in the fall too. Laughing

I'm still excited though. Especially with it utilizing iCloud Drive and the pricing in comparison to Dropbox. That being said, it would be nice if they bumped up the basic plan to match others at 15GB. 5GB is pretty worthless these days once you move beyond the basics.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: