123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech miniStack v2 [Updated Picture]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

NewerTech just sent us a picture of the miniStack v2.

Brian

Is there ports only on one side, or is the other side similar? And when will it be available?
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Is there ports only on one side, or is the other side similar? And when will it be available?

The ports are only on one side. I will post the ship date ASAP.
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:

The ports are only on one side. I will post the ship date ASAP.

Ports only on one side is actually not a bad idea after I re-consider it. Besides, the ports are found on the rear of the unit's side so it may still look like the cables are coming out of the rear.

After looking at the photo I could end up changing my mind about this side port business.

Jaime
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
Ports only on one side is actually not a bad idea after I re-consider it. Besides, the ports are found on the rear of the unit's side so it may still look like the cables are coming out of the rear.

After looking at the photo I could end up changing my mind about this side port business.

Jaime

Remember that cables won't turn 90 degrees to go on the back of the unit, though. It'll still stick out of the side. It's a good compromise for temporary ports though (and seeing the insides of the unit, couldn't be in front).
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bonus for anyone that still is needing an external drive like this but it doesn't give me buyers remorse for having bought the first version of the Ministack!!!
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouieMacGoo wrote:
Nice bonus for anyone that still is needing an external drive like this but it doesn't give me buyers remorse for having bought the first version of the Ministack!!!

The side ports should be a nice feature for new buyers. I wouldn't mind having the side USB port for my iPod. I'm using just about every port on the back and it's pretty crowded back there. It's sort of a pain in the ass to make a temporary connections with every thing being crammed into such a small place.
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="devo"]
LouieMacGoo wrote:
It's sort of a pain in the ass to make a temporary connections with every thing being crammed into such a small place.

I keep a spare pocket USB hub for that purpose. Devices I need to connect temporarily go on the pocket hub.

Maybe if NewerTech sent me a sample to play around with I would change my mind real fast Very Happy

Jaime
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bought my MiniStack I had a small Belkin 4 port USB Hub that I had used. After the Stack arrived I just moved it to the MiniTower case and made it into my front USB hub and it works very well for plugging in the iPod, camera and any other stuff that just needs a temporary plug!

G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really leaning towards buying just this enclosure since I can then buy my own hard drive (umm.. Hitachi 300GB 7200rpm 8mb.. ummm..)...

One thing I am concerned about is hooking up a loud enclosure to my near-silent Mini.. Can any owners of a current Ministack comment on the noise? Is it loud or quiet?

- Obviously the hard drive plays a major role in the noise factor, but I am curious as to how loud the fan is in the enclosure?
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Can any owners of a current Ministack comment on the noise? Is it loud or quiet?

- Obviously the hard drive plays a major role in the noise factor, but I am curious as to how loud the fan is in the enclosure?

The only time I hear my miniStack's fan is when it spins down. I think it is only because the case is not as tight as it could have been. As teh fan spins down it causes the case to vibrate for a brief moment. It is not loud tough. If I have music playing it gets drowned out.

Jaime
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
One thing I am concerned about is hooking up a loud enclosure to my near-silent Mini.. Can any owners of a current Ministack comment on the noise? Is it loud or quiet?

Mine doesn't make any sound, but I did install the old Mac mini's 80GB/4200RPM drive in it (upgraded the Mac mini to 80GB/5400RPM). I also turned off the fan.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Obviously the hard drive plays a major role in the noise factor, but I am curious as to how loud the fan is in the enclosure?

Mine is sort of loud when the fan runs. I just crank up iTunes and forget about it. Most of the noise comes from the drive spinning. I really don't feel any drive or fan vibration. I'm considering buying the v2 and stacking it for more storage. My 250GB miniStack is about full with movies from MTR. I think two of them stacked would look pretty cool! Cool
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have a release date for this yet? I cannot seem to find one and will be in the market very soon...
Frecklefacecase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its ok. i kinda like the ports better on the back more though. im getting my mini in about a week. thats what i plan to save up for next, along with a apple 20 LCD and som creatues. i gots a loong way to go.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frecklefacecase wrote:
its ok. i kinda like the ports better on the back more though. im getting my mini in about a week. thats what i plan to save up for next, along with a apple 20 LCD and som creatues. i gots a loong way to go.

I'd suggest that you wait for a few months until Apple releases their Intel version of the Mac mini...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: