123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Intros First Thunderbolt Powered Portable Dual-Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: WD Intros First Thunderbolt Powered Portable Dual-Drive Reply with quote

WD Intros First Thunderbolt Powered Portable Dual-DriveT
hursday, March 27, 2014 - 5:46 PM EST
Posted by: Staff

WD today introduced My Passport Pro, the first portable, Thunderbolt-powered dual-drive solution, providing creative professionals and enthusiasts high performance and capacity in a mobile solution. According to the company, My Passport Pro has user-selectable RAID functionality for Mac systems to deliver needed performance for the most demanding applications in the field, without the need for power adapters or extra cables. It's available in 2 TB and 4 TB capacities.

Directly powered via the integrated Thunderbolt cable - a design unique to WD - performance of My Passport Pro clocks in at speeds up to 233 MB/s, providing super-fast transfer, edit and backup capabilities. Another key feature of the dual-drive My Passport Pro is its user-selectable RAID function, which lets users choose data striping (RAID 0) for high performance or mirroring (RAID 1) for data redundancy, depending on the user's needs. Superior to both FireWire 800 and USB 3.0, the integrated Thunderbolt technology of My Passport Pro makes video manipulation quick and easy - with the ability to copy a 22 GB high-definition video file in half the time typically required by a USB 3.0 drive working in RAID 0 format.

My Passport Pro is available starting today from Apple and major consumer electronics retailers and e-tailers. Pricing for the 2 TB My Passport Pro is $299.99 and the 4 TB model is $429.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2097.html
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having one of these.

Here's a good review BTW.

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_my_passport_pro_review_4tb
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
MrMini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have come a long way from 128K
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of storage and decent performance for using standard 2.5" drives. It would be cool if you could pick up one of these enclosures to use with other drives. Like two 500GB SSDs. I also like the built-in Thunderbolt cable.
iLife's a Bitch!
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather have the 2GB model with the thinner and much lighter enclosure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: