123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Optical Bay Caddy Mac Mini 2006... Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arctictundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Problems with Optical Bay Caddy Mac Mini 2006... Help! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Last week I bought an optical drive caddy in a bid to create a second hard drive space for my Mac Mini 2006. After a lot of reading, I bought the following from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064A9Y5W/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

I went to ifixit for installation, and all seemed to go smooth. I installed a SSD in the main hdd spot in the Mini first, then installed the optical bay caddy with a WD Scorpio Black 750gb hdd.

I powered up the mini, but it only reads my SSD. I've tried re-inserting the drive and swapping different HDD drives in the optical bay but it is just not reading anything from the optical bay at all. The drives all make the whirring sound as if the computer is reading them, but no joy.

Can anyone help? Or is it a case of just a dud optical bay do you think?

Thanks,

Arctictundra
MrMini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it help because i can answer the question if it didn't work!!!

Just like the memory limiter in the mac mini that leaves some mini's at 4 gig's of ram only there are hard drive size limiters built into the mac minis firmware as well you might only be able to go to a 500 gig hard drive on that model simple test for this switch the drives around place the original boot drive in the cage and then place the 700 gig drive in the original hard drive location
arctictundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks - it all worked!

Got myself a blazing fast mac mini 2006 now - the speed difference is brilliant!

Thanks again for all the help!
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arctictundra wrote:
Thanks folks - it all worked!

Got myself a blazing fast mac mini 2006 now - the speed difference is brilliant!

Thanks again for all the help!

Not so fast.. please explain what you did (in general), I might upgrade soon..
arctictundra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MrMini,

Well - I bought exactly what I described in the first post, and followed the really useful instructions on ifixit.com to remove the optical drive and fit the new piece (again, the hdd caddy I bought is in the first post). The optical caddy cost around 12 from amazon.

I worked out how much space was needed for just my Mac OS (Snow Leopard) and my applications, and aimed for a SSD that would cover that and a bit more. I didn't have a great deal of money, and so this way I could pick up a cheap SSD (45 120gb from Crucial was more than enough space for me) and fir this instead of the original HDD in the mac mini.

I then bought a 750gb Scorpio Black drive from Ebay for 30, and fitted that into the new optical drive caddy. The mac now writes any data to the Scorpio Black HDD, and just reads the applications and Mac OS from the SSD. The boot time is considerably reduced, and the opening of any programs (as well as general working speed of the Mac Mini) is also a lot quicker.

If you need a small guide, I used this as it was really helpful:

http://macintoshhowto.com/hardware/how-to-speed-up-your-mac-with-a-ssd-drive.html

Let me know if you need any more info!

Good luck
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I have future plans for this..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: