123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 months now and things I have discovered plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdsd77

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: 6 months now and things I have discovered plus Reply with quote

Decided on a late Mac Mini 2014 back in Feb 2015.

It has been a fun 6 months, lets just say tat.

I still do have PC Laptop, which I use daily just like the MM.

some of the first things I did was to get

Paragon NTFS -
allowing me to use my USB stick that I had formatted that way - Large movie files on a USB Flash, was what I had on them
( NTFS allows single files larger than 4 GB to be written to a usb flash drive)
so that solved that problem

VLC media player was a must get, over at filehippo.com

Avast Mac Security same place

Android File transfer - yeah I use Galaxy Note 3

Chrome - the only one I use

Audacity - clean my mac 3 - screencastomatic - smart converter - universal media server for casting to my ps3 and TV and others - and a few more that have come and gone!

oh here is an free icon place, replace your icons, is easy and better than the stock ones here http://www.iconarchive.com/popular.3.html

I will say it has been a pleasure having ths Mac
so glad I went this route and NOT LOCKED IN WITH A REGULAR DESKTOP MAC.
I Have taken with me to numerous places, thats a huge bonus.
got a portable screen that has an HDMI input .

yeah I know could just get the laptop, that's coming believe me....but no need right now. in an RV on the road or in a remote location with dC power is why I went this route and saved a grand or more

I did see some videos of people sliding the screen and thought I didn't have that capability - see this article, Now I feel pretty good, Multiple desktops with separate projects?
http://www.howtogeek.com/180677/mission-control-101-how-to-use-multiple-desktops-on-a-mac/

and windows has them too, just not as cool as the mac
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-multiple-desktops-in-windows-10/

I was sorta blown away when I came across and wondered how I would use it, well lets say , composing movie scores, writing screenplays, writing and composing personal music, graphics etc etc... is a breeze now, research on anything , put it on a desktop, go to it as needed, or when you want to work that project ... yeah windows 10 has it, but it will never be as cool as the Mac desktops, and it doesn't allow certain features the Mac has with the separate desktops.

also installed Parallels, yeah it lets me run windows right on my mac, others that allow that are bootcamp and VMFusion ware, each has its benefits.

I like the Parallels coherence mode, runs seamlessly on the mac like the mac but it's fricken windows!....

get a good visual monitor, I opted for an Asus mx279
looks great, the 2nd one is on the way now, yeah I need it, want it gotta have it !!!! - seriously for the music composition alone.

also get some sound monitors, I went with the Carbon M-audio Bx5's - damn, it is amazing

now looking into these thunderbolt things and how and why to use them, still not up to speed on everything, don;t have anyone I know that has a mac, so the learning curve has been slow.

Love this mac - so far
saul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that you are having fun with your mini.

For 4GB files you can format to exFAT that works on recent Windows and OS X. Supposedly faster than NTFS on USB drives.
mdsd77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learned something new !
did not know that
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither did i???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: