123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 TB Time Capsule (TC) problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwpmini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: 1 TB Time Capsule (TC) problems Reply with quote

I recently purchased a used TC. The manual is not adequate to address my problem.
First (1): I connected an ethernet port to the ethernet port on my Mini. (mini runs sno leapard 10.6.Cool

(2): Mini detected it and I was able to set it up to be my Time Machine backup. That worked fine. First TM bakup took several hours; thereafter normal. Green indicator flashed on activity as I had selected (time machine backup in process)
NOTE: I put an additional folder into the TC with an alias to it on my desktop. Double-clicking the alias displayed the TC. Normally, the TC only displayed on the desktop when a backup was in process. The TC shows as a "server". (when clicking on the Dock Finder icon.)

(3): I connected Cable modem to the WAN port (formerly to a LinkSys router).There was no interruption to Internet access. There also was no interruption to wireless operation of a Brother J439 printer. Green indicator now flashes with internet traffic.

(4): Next; I attempted (through Airport Setup Utility) to turn on Wireless. I was presented with various choices. I must have made the wrong ones because now it no longer is working as Time Machine backup. Internet access as a wired router was unchanged.

(5): The indicator is flashing Yellow.

(6): Airport Setup Utility can no longer detect the Time Capsule. The alias (see NOTE to (2) would not bring up the TC on the desktop. Server no longer shows.

(7): It appears that only a reset will allow me to start over reselect and perhaps configure TC properly as (a) Time Machine Backup and (b) a Wireless Router. Question: Will I lose all the Time Machine Bakup data previously stored in step (2).?

As an aside:
(Cool: I reconfigured system so backups would again go a 500 GB USB drive i had been using and it backed up OK (per examination of drive) except for gaps in date/time that the TC was in use: BUT I can no longer enter Time Machine by clicking the status icon. That disables the ability to Restore anything.

Main Questions: What must i do to restore TC to operate as a backup AND as a Wireless Router.? Also see (7) above.
Sub question: Why can i no longer Enter my 500 GB time machine? See (Cool
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

I have my TM connected to my router by ethernet cable, then on each of my Mac's it shows TM Icon, click on that and setup wireless..
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a factory reset go to apple and select the support section and type in the search field how to factory reset a tc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: