123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading and Troubleshooting Concerns Snow Leopard Maverick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachmonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Upgrading and Troubleshooting Concerns Snow Leopard Maverick Reply with quote

This is a blanket post for trouble shooting Snow Leopard and determining whether to upgrade to Mavericks.

I am sensing some operating slowness with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Keying in text here for instance has a few second delay in appearing. Some times highlighting in a document is delayed.

I would like to do a clean install of Snow Leopard but I only have the Leopard install disk. I also do not have a backup system as my external drive is not booting. However, most of my important documents are in Dropbox except music and pictures.

I am debating about upgrading to Mavericks. Does this upgrade do a clean install over Snow Leopard? There are a lot of opinions about upgrading to Mavericks and the one thing that appeals to me is optimization. However, I do have some "older" software that I would like to continue to use. Office 2008 for instance. I do want better integration of my calendars with my wife. We are both using Google Calendars and I use iCal as well. It is messy right now. Neither of us are using iCloud. She has a PC. I have a Mini and PC laptop.

I was also considering a dual boot of Mavericks and Snow leopard. That idea appeals to me to work as a trial run for Mavericks?

Any thoughts:
Clean install of Snow Leopard steps?
Value of dual boot Snow Leopard and Mavericks?
Steps to partition hard drive?
Integrating calendars?

Mini specs are in signature.
I have 152 GB available of 500 GB HD.

Thank you!
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Glaurung

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in North America, Apple will happily sell you a Snow Leopard disk for $20, shipping included. This is actually often cheaper than buying one on Ebay. If I were you, I'd get the disk regardless. It's cheap insurance in case you ever need to downgrade or if you ever get another pre 2011 mac.

When doing a clean reinstall, what I do is 1) back up absolutely everything, two different ways -- use time machine, and also do a manual copy of everything. 2) make sure I have all the product keys and downloaded installers for all non-app store purchased software. Go into the app and record the key off the "about" screen if you can't find the paperwork for any of your purchases.

One thing to be extra careful of is Office. MS no longer supports office 2008, so you can't use the product key to download it from their site anymore (evidently they used to allow this). If you don't have a disk or the downloaded installer archived somewhere, you're going to have to get one of them before doing a wipe/reinstall.

Googling "dual boot snow leopard lion" brings up various guides to doing the whole dual-boot thing by creating a second partition on your hard drive. For example, http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-keep-snow-leopard-when-upgrading-to-lion/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: