123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for impaired/dying 2009 Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papercut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for impaired/dying 2009 Mini? Reply with quote

This isn't really a troubleshooting question since I've already had Apple give me the diagnosis on my Mac Mini. I'm interested to see if anyone has any suggestions other than just listing it on eBay for parts or in an as-is condition.

The Mini is a standard 2009 2.53Mhz Core2-duo machine. About a week ago I noticed that it wouldn't boot or restart if it had been running for a while and was warm. Upon turning it on it would beep an S.O.S. series -- three short, three long, three short beeps and would not boot up. After allowing it too cool down for 30 minutes or so, it would then boot up just fine.

Apple was able to recreate the problem and said that it needed a $395 logic board replacement. I thanked them but declined to put that much money in a four year-old machine.

So now I have a Mini that will boot up just fine, will run for an indefinite period of time provided that it doesn't crash or require rebooting, but has a known logic board issue.

I don't really need a media server for music or movies - it's rare that I stream anything from my Mac to my ATV. I don't need a dedicated file server since my wife uses a PC and I'm using a hand-me-down MacBook and we don't use any common files.

Any thoughts or suggestions on other uses for the Mac?
Thanks.

Dale
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to fix it, and you don't want to sell it, I don't know what to suggest.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
papercut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, SC! I walked right into that one.

I guess that's the confirmation that I was looking for. If there was some other dedicated purpose that I was missing it would be worth a try. Since I've ruled out the two obvious ones (at least obvious to me), I suppose I'll try formatting and restaging the HD and see what it might bring on eBay. It's been a great little machine for over four years and I hate to see it reduced to parts, but that seems to be the outcome.

Now if Apple would just hurry up and release an updated Mini...
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes that's the way it is.

If the repair was $300, I'd say go for it! However for $400, it's too close to the price of a new mini.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a new mini you would be much happier...

that machine even for parts isn't much

the cd drive goes for 25.00 on ebay

the processor goes for 100.00

the hard drive goes for 10.00 to 15.00 depends on condition

the cage goes for 20.00 most people use them for external hard drive mods

so really even if you sell it your still not looking at much for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: