123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Mid 2010 Memory Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hutger

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Mid 2010 Memory Issue Reply with quote

Dear all,

I got a Mac mini Core 2 Duo Mid 2010 and it came with 2 GB of RAM (2 modules of 1GB). I read the specs and verified that this model supports until 8GB of RAM. As I'm intending using it as a media center, 4 GB is quite enough, so bought 4 GB (02 modules of 2GB).

After the upgrade (4GB with 2 Modules of 2GB) the MacMini didn't boot anymore and I got one beep. When I leave only one module (2GB), it boots like a charm. When I install 1 x 2GB module + 1 x 1GB module, 3GB in total, it also boots.

It seems that my system cannot recognize more than 3GB of RAM. This is strange since the specs show that it supports 8GB.

Does someone could help me out giving me some idea about what's going on?

Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the earlier Mini's which only supported 3GB you could still install 4GB but that only 3GB would show up and be accessed by Mac OS X. A 2010 model wouldn't have that problem.

Getting the beep on boot up sounds to me like you have a fault stick of ram or a ram module thats not seated correctly.

Did you try booting individually with just one stick of 2GB ram in turn to check they both work ok ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
hutger

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

I've tested all 2GB modules individually and all of them work perfectly in any of the two slots.

The problem happens only whenever install 2 modules of 2GB.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to upgrade the mini's firmware before you can use the 4 gig's of ram on the 2010 mini go to apple and look for the firmware update for the 2010 mac mini

also make sure they are the same mhz ram if there differrent in any way like off by a single mhz the computer will fail to boot and give you beep codes as well
hutger

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: I already did... Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
you need to upgrade the mini's firmware before you can use the 4 gig's of ram on the 2010 mini go to apple and look for the firmware update for the 2010 mac mini

also make sure they are the same mhz ram if there differrent in any way like off by a single mhz the computer will fail to boot and give you beep codes as well

Hi,

According to Apple's KB (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1237) the most current firmware for my Mac Mini (Mid 2010 - Macmini4,1) is MM41.0042.B03 (EFI 1.5), exactly the same that I'm using now.

Regarding the memory clock, the modules are all compatible to Mac Mini.

Yesterday I got a 4gb module and It didn't work also. It seems like my mac mini couldn't recognize more than 3GB.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beep codes for Mac

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected
2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)
3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing
4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot block
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep try the beep codes are you getting the machine to boot at all or just beeps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: