123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Selling Mac Book | I Want To Wipe The Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Selling Mac Book | I Want To Wipe The Drive Reply with quote

My 2008 machine is not being used anymore. I intend to put it up for sale this week on eBay.

I want to remove all of the data on the disc. I know that moving things to the trash doesn't clear everything. Long ago I read somewhere that there is a terminal command that will overwrite all of the empty space many times to remove the data. Can someone here please let me know that command?

I recall that there are single pass and multi-pass options. I would go for the multi-pass option. How many hours should that take with a 160 GB HD?

I still have everything that came with my machine. I've got the Display Port to VGA connector, the power supply cords, the Apple Remote, the two OS discs, the unused screen cleaning cloth, the Apple stickers, the books in the gray box that held the discs, and the original box.

Does anybody know what a 2008 2.4 GHz 2 GB RAM with a 160 GB HDD should go for? It is running Leopard 10.5.8. The battery needs to be replaced. I've been using it plugged in.

Thank you.

Smallwheels
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just re-install the OS from the two discs you have.

If you REALLY are paranoid about erasing old data, the Disk Utility "Erase" function has the "single- and multi-pass overwite" option in it, but you'll need to boot from something else - like the OS DVD?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Selling Mac Book | I Want To Wipe The Drive Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I want to remove all of the data on the disc. I know that moving things to the trash doesn't clear everything. Long ago I read somewhere that there is a terminal command that will overwrite all of the empty space many times to remove the data. Can someone here please let me know that command?

I recall that there are single pass and multi-pass options. I would go for the multi-pass option.

You can do that in Disk Utility, however it probably won't let you do it on a running OS drive.

You will probably need to from an external drive or from the recovery disks. Both options will then let you run disk utility and you can format the internal drive from there.

Select the 160GB drive in the drive list of Disk Utility and click the Erase tab, look for the button "Security Options..." this lets you set the format to normal, single pass, three pass and 7 pass.

{edit}Sorry I've just duplicated mooblie's answer. I'd left the page open after reading your post and nipped out to a doctors appointment, then answered it when I got back home. I only saw mooblie's reply after I'd posted...

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: