123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HTPC Issues, not sure where to start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: HTPC Issues, not sure where to start Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a new Samsung 8 series 65" LED TV. It was purchased to replace an outdated but by all means perfectly working LG DLP job.

My home theater set up is reasonably basic, It consists of the TV, Onkyo TXSR608 receiver, 2008 2ghz core 2 duo mac mini, PS3, Wii and a Pioneer 3D player.

With my old TV i used to run EyeTV on the mini and used it religiously, daily to watch and record TV. I also used the mini for Plex, although Plex has been a bit hit and miss on it for the past couple of years I've lived with it. The mini has had a good life with two new HDD transplants over it's life. The mini used to be connected directly to the TV using a VGA cable and it worked flawlessly every time.

Here's the problem, Ever since I've introduced the Samsung TV into the mix it just doesn't work. Well, it did for the first week and then it didn't.. I now run the mini direct into the AV receiver using a display port adapter -> HDMI and then using a high quality monster HDMI cable. The problem is that when i turn it all on the receiver sort of recognises something is there and if i screen share the mini i can see that the mini recognises that av receiver and in it's colour options under display settings it displays the TXSR608 about 18 times (CONFUSING) and it always seems to display with a strange pink/green wash which can be corrected by randomly selecting a different TXSR608 heading in the colour menu.

What the TV displays is weird, it says to check the cables and check the input, on occasions it says that the resolution is not supported. I have also tried to plug the mini direct into the Samsung TV but it yields the same results!

Now i know that the mini is old, she's a little slow on start up and the optical drive hasn't worked for years but it seems a bit strange in its behavior. The big problem is how do i pin point the issue? What settings should i have this set on so that the receiver and TV picks it up?

It took me 30 minutes tonight of restarting the mini, changing all the display resolutions and turning both the receiver and TV on and off numerous times for it to work, but it does work! Until tomorrow when i have to go through the same process again!

I am hoping someone out there can shed some light and help me out, it is doing my head in severely. If it is as simple as the mini just isn't 'modern' enough to run the fancy new TV then i can live with that and I can go and buy a new mini if it will work no issues but that simple fact that it does work after a bit of stuffing around makes me thing it is just a resolution issue?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible it's too old, but it's also possible that your DP to HDMI adapter is funky.

Another user commented about a pink tint, and I'll have to try and look his post up after work.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: