123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth Extending the warranty on the Mni

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Is it worth Extending the warranty on the Mni Reply with quote

Hello

My Mac Mini is approaching one year and I was wondering if it is worth extending the Apple Care Warranty?

I plan on keeping this for at least 2-3 more years as I just received my MBA and now have student loans to pay so no more new Macs for me for awhile.

Thanks
Patrick
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extended mine with Applecare and believe it's worth it. I just wouldn't buy it through Apple. You can find substantial savings on Applecare plans by shopping around. Heck, I got mine from B&H for like 1/3 the price.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
MrMini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parts are cheep...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably wouldn't on a stock configuration mini. The components that typically fail (hard drives) are cheap enough and simple enough to replace and the unit itself is relatively affordable to replace.

I personally think AppleCare should be $99 for a mini, not $149. At $149 it's 25% of the cost of a new one.

You said you are a tech geek, so you'll likely never use the phone support.

iMac AppleCare at $199 is a much better deal. You are protecting a display as well and, you are looking at about $135 just to open one up and put it back together, never mind the parts.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
parts are cheep...

Parts are cheap until your logic board goes and then all bets are off.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth Extending the warranty on the Mni Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
Hello

My Mac Mini is approaching one year and I was wondering if it is worth extending the Apple Care Warranty?

I plan on keeping this for at least 2-3 more years as I just received my MBA and now have student loans to pay so no more new Macs for me for awhile.

Thanks
Patrick
No I have the mac mini for over 2 years and nothing ever happened to it. Spend your money to perhaps upgrade your unit.The mac books you can use Applecare with.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something is going to go wrong with a headless Mac, it typically goes wrong within the first 30-120 days. At least that's been my experience with Intel-based Mac Pros and Mac minis. Just make sure you're using a UPS or surge suppressor and you should be fine.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I had Macs fail new & some around 2 years old. Apple Care for the mini is under $100 on eBay.

Just the phone support is worth it. One of my iMacs HD failed around six days after AC expired, Apple replaced a 250GB HD for a new 320GB HD for free.

Another AASP messed up a different rig, and Apple fixed the problem along with a nice discount on my future purchase, JMO.
wizard69

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth Extending the warranty on the Mni Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
Hello

if you are an individual, and the usage isn't critical then the answer is NO, it isn't worth it
Quote:

Thanks
Patrick

Seriously pay off that student loan first before wasting money on this extended warranty. Depending upon the Mini the extension can be one fourth the cost of a new machine. You would be far better off putting the money in the bank for that proverbial rainy day. Add $10 a month to that bank account and you will be able to buy just about any part you will need to fix the machine in a year or better yet have a decent down payment in two years for a new machine.

The value of Apple Care has to be evaluated carefully by each person looking to purchase it. In some cases it is a critical purchase! In your case, fresh out of college I would expect that you have a cash poor position combined with crushing debt. As such I'd seriously consider addressing those two issues first, it's will be difficult no doubt but having cash on hand enables a lot of things and like wise erasing that college debt ASAP frees you from that ball and chain.

It would be a different story too if you are to incorporate that Mini into any business endeavor. However if that is the case you would have a lot more things to worry about
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth Extending the warranty on the Mni Reply with quote

wizard69 wrote:
DellApple wrote:
Hello

if you are an individual, and the usage isn't critical then the answer is NO, it isn't worth it
Quote:

Thanks
Patrick

Seriously pay off that student loan first before wasting money on this extended warranty. Depending upon the Mini the extension can be one fourth the cost of a new machine. You would be far better off putting the money in the bank for that proverbial rainy day. Add $10 a month to that bank account and you will be able to buy just about any part you will need to fix the machine in a year or better yet have a decent down payment in two years for a new machine.

The value of Apple Care has to be evaluated carefully by each person looking to purchase it. In some cases it is a critical purchase! In your case, fresh out of college I would expect that you have a cash poor position combined with crushing debt. As such I'd seriously consider addressing those two issues first, it's will be difficult no doubt but having cash on hand enables a lot of things and like wise erasing that college debt ASAP frees you from that ball and chain.

It would be a different story too if you are to incorporate that Mini into any business endeavor. However if that is the case you would have a lot more things to worry about
Save your money. It is not worth it only for the MBP and MBA lines perhaps.
sje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended warranties are almost never worth the cost. I have saved thousands over the years by declining every extended warranty offer.

Much better is to self-insure by keeping the extended warranty money for yourself. Stick the cash into a hard-to-misplace envelope. Every time you buy something, add to that envelope. Trust me on this; it will work in the long run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: