123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would YOU like to see in the next Mac Mini model?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: What would YOU like to see in the next Mac Mini model? Reply with quote

As I see it, Apple can do one of four things:

1) They can kill off the Mac Mini with no notice or ceremony, just as they've done with many other product lines.

2) They can make modest improvements, like a faster disk or more RAM in the base configurations.

3) They can use the Mac Mini line to introduce a cheaper but slower machine using an ARM CPU; something like a Chromebox but running Mac OS/X.

4) They can do what most of us want them to do, which is to produce a substantially more modern machine with features like a discrete GPU, four memory slots, a 7,200 RPM drive, the capability to output 4K video at 60 Hz, and a quad core CPU running at 3 GHz or better.

Over the years, I've bought three Mac Mini computers. But I doubt that I'll buy another unless the model is substantially improved.
Bigbadbugga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like all of the above but the looks of the Mac Pro, just smaller.

Providing the memory is upgradable by the user (not soldered) and the spec is a decent improvement on the current one I think it will be a hit.
gooser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next one i buy will have a built in optical drive. whether i buy it new or used is up to apple.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What would YOU like to see in the next Mac Mini model? Reply with quote

sje wrote:

As I see it, Apple can do one of four things:

1) They can kill off the Mac Mini with no notice or ceremony, just as they've done with many other product lines.

2) They can make modest improvements, like a faster disk or more RAM in the base configurations.

3) They can use the Mac Mini line to introduce a cheaper but slower machine using an ARM CPU; something like a Chromebox but running Mac OS/X.

4) They can do what most of us want them to do, which is to produce a substantially more modern machine with features like a discrete GPU, four memory slots, a 7,200 RPM drive, the capability to output 4K video at 60 Hz, and a quad core CPU running at 3 GHz or better.

Over the years, I've bought three Mac Mini computers. But I doubt that I'll buy another unless the model is substantially improved.
Piu in a SSD instead of the HD.
sje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Sorry to say Reply with quote

Sorry to say, but I think Apple has purposely decided to dump the Mac Mini by letting it die from neglect. This may help Apple's bottom line in the short term by forcing Mac buyers to higher cost, higher margin desktops and notebooks.

But it's not going to help in the long term, because Apple needs a moderately priced entry level machine to maintain and build its market share.

A recent scan of the web site of a well known US computer retail store showed a couple of hundred different desktop computers all priced under US$500. No Macs, of course. While the makers of these sub-US$500 desktops aren't earning very high profits on their machines, they are at least keeping and maybe increasing their market share. And even a few dollars of profit is better than no dollars at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: