123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on backup gas generator, Winter's coming :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Advice on backup gas generator, Winter's coming :) Reply with quote

I don't want to be stuck like last winter so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a generator setup that will let me run my mini on a 30" Dell using Photoshop for a few hours?

Thanks!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I keep around on the off chance we have an extended power outage.
I've never liked the idea of keeping a gas generator, maybe for years and only then finding out I can't get it to run when needed, I know my car is always ready to go, just let it idle outside and run an extension cord into the house.
This setup has worked well for me on the 2 occasions I've needed power over the past 10 years.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12v-1500-watt-power-inverter/838711
Greysquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last ten years I have had a generac 7500 gas generator in a shed and wired to a transfer switch next to my breaker box and it has never been a problem with storing gas for me. This year I am putting in a natural gas standby generator only because you have to use non ethanol gas in any small engine and that now costs $4.25 a gallon now and the generator uses 3 gallons in 6-8 hours which costs approx $12.00 a tank full. so if I have no power for 24 hours in wold cost me approx. 38.00 that is why I am changing. over to natural gas Also if there us a long outage it could be a problem getting gas if the stations pumps are not working.. This generator ran all our main circuits the new one will run the whole house.
If all you want is to run a computer for a few hours there are small Honda generator that will do it for your but if your are going to the expense of a small one why not get something that will run your heat fridge and some light s as well.
There are a number of web sites that show you what size you will need to run whatever your needs are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: