123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repurpose 2006 Mac Mini for Time Machine with external HDD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewfd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Repurpose 2006 Mac Mini for Time Machine with external HDD Reply with quote

Looking for a TimeMachine expert here. Smile

I have a Apple Mac mini "Core Duo" 1.66 from 2006 sitting around. I also have on order a CiT 3.5 inch USB 2.0 Dual SATA HDD Enclosure and was thinking of getting a WD Green 4TB Desktop Internal SATA Hard Drive to put in it.

Can I set the Mac Mini to be a TimeMachine for my Macbook and iMac and for it to use the USB caddy with the 4tb HDD in it as the storage?

Do I need to worry about the Mac Mini not being able to run 10.9 OSX or about the type/make of HDD I put in the caddy?

If I add a second HDD can the Mac Mini JBOD or RAID them in the caddy to expand storage size?

Thanks

Andrew
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on which router you are using, you may be able to just plug your USB external into the router for your Time Machine backups and skip the extra mini.
Many if not most of todays routers have usb inputs on them.
andrewfd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. I have a D Link DIR 655

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-655

It says this.

Network USB
Select to share a USB printer, scanner, or storage device connected to the USB port behind the router with multiple users within your network.

Support
Device drivers and the D-Link USB Network Utility must be installed on each computer that will use the device.

I can't see how that will broadcast itself on the network with AFP protocol as a TimeMachine target drive though. Am I overcomplicating things?
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try it with the router.

You can basically set it up like the instructions from Netgear.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21360/~/how-to-setup-time-machine-with-your-netgear-router
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: