123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about mac mini year old new in box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lot41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Question about mac mini year old new in box Reply with quote

It may sound crazy but I bought a new mac mini I bought at last years black Friday sale at Best Buy. It has been sitting unopened ever since. I am going to hook it up now.

I am wondering if there is anything I need to know now that it is almost a year old as far as getting it started. Updating and so on.

Thanks Joe
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will have a few updates to install. Decide if you want El Capitan or not.

The biggest thing is if you are going to use Migration Assistant or set up new?

Otherwise it is a MAC so should just work.
lot41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Yes, you will have a few updates to install. Decide if you want El Capitan or not.

The biggest thing is if you are going to use Migration Assistant or set up new?

Otherwise it is a MAC so should just work.

To be honest, I don't even know what Migration Assistant is. I will just hook it u and go from there. The one I am using now was new in April 2007 and has worked perfectly since set up.

Everything is out of date now though, I can hardly watch youtube and could not get into my website today because the browser is no longer supported. Same with paypal, I can't transfer money anymore.
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migration Assistant is an app that is loaded on your new MAC that would copy everything over from your old machine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
lot41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul wrote:
Migration Assistant is an app that is loaded on your new MAC that would copy everything over from your old machine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Oh. I was just reading about El Capitan and it said they will update it at no charge. Should I take it to the apple store before doing anything and have it updated? I know I sound like a dope but I don't really know much about computers.
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you bought it less that a year ago it would make sense for you to buy the Applecare. That would give you another 2 years of phone support.

If you take the new one in it will take more than the standard 15 minute window to get it updated. Plan on going at a slow time or coming back.

They used to also help and run Migration assistant for you but I don't know if that is still something they do.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the Apple Store first and ask if they would help you with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: