123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung 840 EVO: Trim or No Trim?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoderKev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Samsung 840 EVO: Trim or No Trim? Reply with quote

I have had 2 minis, my first was an early 2009 that I put an OCZ Agility 3 SSD into. The current mid 2011 model has an Agility 4 that I installed. OCZ says that neither one needs trim enabled because they have improved garbage collection.

This week, as a Christmas gift, I bought an SSD for my dad's late 2009 mini. I intended to buy a refurb Agility 3 since I am familiar with it and it was on sale. The sales person told me that OCZ filed for bankruptcy and steered me to the Samsung 840 EVO, also on sale.

I have no experience with this SSD. Nor does Samsung have much information on their site for Mac users. The salesman said it was "natively supported on Mac." The drive works great and seems to have the latest firmware, but I wonder if I need to enable trim. Does anyone have that information?

Thanks for any help.

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
KoderKev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Found an answer Reply with quote

The only answer I could find was provided by a user on the Mac Geek Gab forum. The short answer is that it does, indeed, require trim to be enabled. Article link here.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested in adding one of these drives to their mini.

32gb iPhone 5c
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I also bought a Samsung Evo, but it is in an external enclosure so I can't use TRIM on it.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I also bought a Samsung Evo, but it is in an external enclosure so I can't use TRIM on it.

Sure, no problem! Smile

This might seem like a dumb question, but do you get any decent performance from the SSD as an external HD? I would think whatever interface you have would slow down the drive.

32gb iPhone 5c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: