123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for some mac pro questions??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Time for some mac pro questions?? Reply with quote

Ok let me explain i am a classic mac gamer i like playing alien vs predator 2 and even black and white and other older titles so in my decision to be able to play my older games with more then enough ram and power i went online looking for a older 2006 mac pro because i will be using snow leopard leopard and tiger on it for classic games use no real need for the 10.7 on this build.

so here are the specs

Mac pro 1,1

2 x 2.66 dual core zeon woodcrest processors

350 gig hard drive

8 gig's of ram

No o.s

No graphics card (had apple tech check out the machine before purchase passed all diagnostics and ran video fine using one of there cards at the mac shop where i live at.

So here are my plans on this model.

i want to max it out on most specs.

i am going to install 4 2 tb western digital green drives they create less heat and i don't have to worry about drive failure then

i am going to order a 8 gig upgrade kit for this model it already has 8 gig's i thought i should just go to 16 for the hell of it

now this comes to my last question.

should i just flash a graphics card or is it better to buy a cheaper nvidia 256 meg graphics card at 109.00

will this machine give me enough power to run these games.

Doom 3

Black and white

Diablo 2

Starcraft

Spiderman 2

Halo

Alien vs Predator 2

American mcgee's alice

Harry Potter 2 and 1 (oddly enough the only reason i play these is i install the pot mods for the game so dumbledor is caring around a bong and harry has a joint sticking out of his mouth the whole game funny as ever gotta love mods for the unreal engine)

so what do you think...

should i be ok is there a better graphics card for this machine thats cheaper then 109.00 or is that the average price??
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Here is a update:

I received my mac pro 2006 on the 13th no problems made it to my door wrapped in enough styrofoam to kill a baby whale took 2 hours to unwrap

anyways.

i purchased a nvidia gt 120 for 100.00 online from amazon for the mac pro 2006-2007 model installed it and the card caused a processor panic so i then purchased a ati radeon 256 meg card which worked excellent.

so here is the project finished

i now have.

mac pro 2006 2.66ghz upgraded to 3.0 ghz
16 gig's of ram
4 2 tb hard drives
running:

10.4.11 (server unlimited license)
10.9 (using s.f.o.t.t for the installation)

everything is running nice and smooth as glass i can see why people love these machines
saul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are having some fun. What about SSDs?

I did see how the eBay prices of he 2009 models have dropped since the trash can version came out.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly on the 2006 mac pro i wouldn't because the drive controller is limited to 200mbps so the speed would be the same as a regular hard drive however with the 2 tb you really don't have any lag or bad loading times so really i cannot complain

and you are right the price tag is going down and look even for mac pro's with the graphics card missing 98.9 % of the time the graphics card is missing because they had a expensive mac graphics card in the machine and just upgraded and took there graphics card with them to the newer machine not bad machines just a warning if you decide on boot camp.

you have to disconnect all the efi mac formatted drives for windows to install its a bug in the 2006/2007 mac pro's the windows installer has issues with efi hard drives so if you unplug all the mac os x formatted drives and assign one hard drive bay to windows you can install windows with out any issues then once windows is installed you can then reconnect all of your hard drives and boot into mac os x as well as windows.

it took me 7 hours to figure this out

if you don't disconnect the mac hard drives you get into the installation screen and then it gives you error 8xc300300300x40
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Now 5 2TB hard drives
saul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though the SSD is faster than the bus what you get is avoiding the physical delays.

Played with RAID yet? If I recall when I tried it, going to a 3 drive striped set felt about the same as a SSD.

Nice with the pro that the disks are easy to swap. That 5th one is not as easy, though.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually true the 5th was not easy because i had to convert the power cable to sata then i had to connect a data cable to the sata port under the front fan assembly and get two rails that would fit into the second 5 1/2 inch slot below the superdrive i am not going to upgrade the 5 1/2 inch drive superdrive because in order to use bootcamp you have to have the original super drive connected to ide because boot camp auto defaults to the ide controller to boot from.

i was thinking about a raid but i decided not to do one because it would make it a little tough on my o.s uses so i decided I'm not going to at this time i might later the options still there.

i did however pickup some nas storage boxes cheap from my local recycle pc shop.

they are called:

Netgear Zetera (Storage central SC101)

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-SC101NA-NETGEAR-Storage-Central/dp/B0009RML8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409207852&sr=8-2&keywords=netgear+zetera

it holds 2 IDE Hard drives but there is enough space to attach a ide to sata converter board to the drives and use Sata on them and convert them that way the boxes where only 14.99 a piece so i bought two of them and i have a workgroup hub already so it was really cost effective and if i still want to use them with ide i can get two ide 500 gig hard drives for 20.00 a piece so that will be next so i at least use my second lan port
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: