123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to be 100% on the cloud?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to be 100% on the cloud? Reply with quote

I am in the middle of a transition. I am planning on moving all of my personal computing to the cloud. I am detailing the change in my blog and am looking for some feedback.

One hurdle I haven't figured out yet is how to store all of my full length movies on the cloud and still have access to play them anywhere.

Check out my blog post here

Comment here or on the blog, I'd love to hear from you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? You trust the providers that much?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: will you ALWAYS have a high-speed Internet connection available?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:

SC

what's there to trust them about? I don't hold any nuclear missile launch codes. I look at it this way, if you've ever bought anything on the internet using a credit or debit card then you're just as susceptible to any type of security breach.

So, yes. I have no qualms about being on the cloud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Also: will you ALWAYS have a high-speed Internet connection available?

Yes. That has been considered. I will be using a phone with a data plan, a tablet with a data plan and a laptop with a data plan. Internet coverage = handled.

Also, I live in an area saturated by wi-fi so I don't see it as being an issue.

Keep in mind, this is an experiment to see if it's possible. Much like my experiment back in 2006 when I went completely digital. I haven't used CD's, DVD's or any other type of physical media for over 7 years. At that time there weren't a lot of people willing to do it and now I'd bet the propensity of the population does...
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

what's there to trust them about? I don't hold any nuclear missile launch codes. I look at it this way, if you've ever bought anything on the internet using a credit or debit card then you're just as susceptible to any type of security breach.

When they decide to terminate the service?

You want everything stored there, and nothing local, then you are at the mercy of the provider(s) and their MBAs.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

When they decide to terminate the service?

You want everything stored there, and nothing local, then you are at the mercy of the provider(s) and their MBAs.

SC

I have considered this, SC.

If Google goes bankrupt or discontinues their online storage and other services, I'm sure I'll have time to move them to DropBox or other services. That being said, my son's school and our local government both use Google Apps for Business including Google Docs, Google Drive, Gmail and others. I highly doubt with the number of organizations using these services that it will cease anytime soon.

My personal opinion is that in the future, everything will be on the cloud. I'm just choosing to get there early. Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
My personal opinion is that in the future, everything will be on the cloud. I'm just choosing to get there early. Wink

I agree.

There will always be local storage available as well, but the trend is highly moving towards cloud based.

Local will remain available for high security, alternate security, higher quality (RAW, Blu-ray etc.), uncompressed, originals of works, studio quality, back-ups etc.

Just like today, all the "crap" and stuff that doesn't matter so much is available in many forms on-line. Of course I'm using "crap" as a blanket term. There is plenty of "good" stuff out there as well.

You might put a blog online, but you may choose to keep your resume or private diary local.

No harm in being an early adopter of the cloud, but putting 100% faith and trust in anything one strategy, is poor strategy. ie. I'd always want a local back-up of my own data that can not be reproduced. ie. home movies, photos, documents etc.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that's interested, here's part 2 of the transition to the cloud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: